Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I was just wondering how to......

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Witchey

Witchey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

go into my computer to check and pull up someone's transcripts of their chat sessions. Here's why I am asking. My dil went into my son's computer, pulled up and read every chat session he had for a particular day. He chat's with a lot of people but she called me over to their house last night to show me a chat session he had with a particular woman, who it turns out is his second cousin, who is also deaf, so they chat on-line. The whole transcript, if that is what it is called was right their on monitor in living color. First of all, I do not believe in invading someone's privacy, nor going and looking for trouble but apparently Miss Nosey Rosey does. She is not computer literate so someone at work had to tell her how to do this. Does anyone know what I am talking about? If one of you does, please tell me because I thought that when you ending a chat session it was over and out.

Thanks in advance

Witchey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:07 AM

Many Instant Message applications (here, I assume that is what you mean by chat session) will allow you to elect to store recent transcripts. MSN messenger (latest version), for example, allows this option.

Tools/Options/Messages
Under message history, you may check/uncheck:
. "automatically keep a history of my conversations,"
. "show my last conversation in new conversation windows"
And designate what folder to use to save recent conversations.

I certainly agree that reading personal conversations is akin to opening another's personal letters. Changing these options will prevent others from reading chat transcripts.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 02 July 2005 - 08:09 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Witchey

Witchey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:13 AM

John, Thank you so much. That was exactly what I needed to know.I went and checked my messenger and mine is turned off. I guess you'd say. Thank goodness, not that there is anything on it, *wink, wink*. I told my son about your reply, he un-checked everything. Miss Nosey Rosey will have to go else where to check up on him. lol Thanks again.

Best regards,
Patti

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:30 PM

Even if your conversations are innocent, *nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean?* they are private and of no concern to anyone who might be using your computer. I would certainly tell Miss NR that I did not appreciate her invasion of my privacy (heaven knows the government does enough of that).
If either of you use other IM applications, be sure to check for similar options and disable those, too.
Cheers!
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users