Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk boot failure - Windows won't start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tangotango

Tangotango

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:29 PM

I'm having trouble getting my computer to boot. Sometimes it reaches "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." and then freezes. Other times it gets to the Windows loading screen but then goes no further. Sometimes I get the message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER."

In the Recovery Console, the command bootcfg results in the message "Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors."

chkdsk throws up the message "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

I've tried setting the options to fail-safe in the BIOS, and reordering the boot sequence, but that seems to have had little effect.

Before the problems began the computer crashed with a blue screen and a message. Unfortunately I wasn't there at the time so I can't report exactly what it said, but I know that the BIOS was mentioned. At the time the computer was running a videogame (Empire: Total War) and uTorrent. Could a bug from the former or a virus from the latter cause this?

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

I suggest you run a manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic, Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

If you can get into the recovery console, you might try running fixboot and fixmbr, to repair the boot sector and the master boot record

#4 Tangotango

Tangotango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

fixboot results in "FIXBOOT cannot find the system drive, or the drive specified is not valid."

fixmbr has no discernible effect.

I shall try to run a manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic next.

#5 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

hdd isnt making any strange sorta quiet high pitched noises or clicking is it??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users