Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer boots then locks up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wordmaster

wordmaster

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hello,

I am running an IBM computer with XP pro on it. It will boot, and at various points, but within a minute, lock up. Most of the time I can get to the screen where you pick a user then go to the desktop and maybe even clik on a few things. I have used a starter program to disable things trying to start up, but it does the same with a boot into safe mode.

Seems the more times in a row I try to start it, the more quickly it shuts down. All fans are running and this is a computer that has been working fine and nothing new has been added. BTW, it does not shut off, everything just locks. Keyboard, mouse, etc. do nothing.

Now for the really strange part. I tried two different anti-virus bootable CD's that boot into linux and run antivirus programs. After a similar period of time, but with these, prior to fully booting, it locks up. One of these has memcheck on it so I booted to the text menu that pops up and started the memory checker. Ran it for about 2 hours with no errors and it did not lock up while running that program. BTW, that CD is the bitdefender rescue CD.

I have done a good bit of computer work for many years but have never run into anything quite like this. Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Edited by wordmaster, 11 June 2009 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

You might try checking to make sure the heatisinks are properly in place?

I had a laptop that I was working on lock up like this and then it started to have crazy video tweaks (think 3D pipes screen saver...only not moving...but black and white and..uh...glowing?).

Anyway, turned out that the thermal transfer goop stuff (I can never remember what that's called) was so far gone that the videocard was actually slowly frying....

Maybe you have something similar?

#3 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:26 PM

The heatsink on the cpu and on the vid card feel as they should. Warm but not excessively hot.

#4 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hrm...ok...the "it seems the more times in a row I try to start it up, the faster it shuts down" bit still makes me think there's a heating issue...

Ok, well let's eliminate that.

Do you have another computer handy?

If you can pop the HDD out of another computer and plug it into the one in question, it would confirm or deny whether or not the issue is involved with any startup programs, or even if it's your computer hitting a killer fault and having to restart.

You'll have driver conflicts with the new drive in this machine, but that's normal of course, with a whole new set of hardware. You might even get windows asking you to reactivate (it does that sometimes...with a new set of hardware it thinks that you duplicated/stole it or something, I'm not sure exactly why), but that's no concern. It should just "forget" about the reactivation when you put it back into the original computer (or you can just reactivate it in the original machine and all will be good)

If it still has a problem after this...I would then try eliminating any cards you have as add-ons (sound, video, etc. Anything that isn't onboard, and can be removed). And start from scratch. You might have a corrupt driver that hits an error and reboots. I've had that happen before as well

#5 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

I am not sure the HD change would apply as it does the same thing when starting from a Knoppix live CD trying to run the bit defender anti-virus in knoppix, not running from the HD at all. Also, the vid card is the only add on card in the computer.

The other odd thing is that memcheck, started from the knoppix CD runs and does not lock up. This would tend to eliminate over heating or power supply problems. What else in the computer starts up that is not running when memcheck is running? It is accessing the cpu, the vid card, the memory, the CD player, etc. It is not using the HD, but neither is it using the HD when knoppix boots from the CD.

Driving me crazy......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users