Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee VirusScan problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mherrett

mherrett

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:07 PM

Hi:
I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice on this problem. The online McAfee techs in India are no help (and respond in a strangely robotic way).

I had a spyware/malware infection that disabled my McAfee Internet Security Suite. I've been getting help on the HJT forum and seem to be cleaned up.

I deleted and re-installed the Security Suite from a file downloaded from my McAfee account. I've been able to get all the product running except my VirusScan is saying I have an old version of Anti Virus Software detected. Getting updates from McAfee isn't working.

I've done various uninstalls (automatic and manual) and re-installs. I've gotten this message several times:

The version of VirusScan that is installed on your computer is designed for a different operating system. If you recently updated your computer from one operating system to another, please uninstall VirusScan, restart your computer, and then reinstall VirusScan to get the correct version for your operating system.
but I seem to have worked past that.

Does anyone have some advice?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:36 AM

hi mherrett
Not sure if this will help much, but it's worth looking at.

This issue may be caused by remainders of previous virus or spyware occurrences on your system, or by a virus or spyware application that was installed on your system before the virus definition update with removal information was downloaded.

the link is: mcafee help
It's under the topic: I am having trouble navigating to the McAfee website and my updates do not appear to be working

BBPP6nz.png

#3 mherrett

mherrett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:44 PM

If anyone is interested, I solved the problem by right clicking the .exe files under Program files. Clicking the properties tab, some of the files had been checked to run under an earlier OS system (Windows 2000 and the program is for XP). I went through all of the files and unchecked the box. Worked fine a few reboots after that.

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for letting us know,
It's nice to know that you managed to sort everything out.
At least if this problem comes up again, we'll all know where to look next time. :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users