Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help deleting a folder...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bob10113

Bob10113

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

After trying to download some coldplay, I realized that the files I downloaded were FLAC files...

Upon trying to delete this folder, I get a message saying "cannot delete... it is being used by another person or program. close any programs that might be using this file and try again."

I don't know what program or person it could possibly be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CompuMechs

CompuMechs

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

After trying to download some coldplay, I realized that the files I downloaded were FLAC files...

Upon trying to delete this folder, I get a message saying "cannot delete... it is being used by another person or program. close any programs that might be using this file and try again."

I don't know what program or person it could possibly be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It may be as simple and rebooting and trying to delete the files again. If that doesn't work, i would recommend rebooting into safe mode and deleting the files.

#3 Bob10113

Bob10113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

It did work. Thank you very much.

#4 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

Something similar happened to me a few ears back...but it wasn't ColdPlay

Anyway, XP has an issue where it thinks files are being used sometimes when they really aren't...

Are you familiar with the task manager, and do you know how to navigate around in dosprompt?

#5 Bob10113

Bob10113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

I can't say that I am.

#6 L0jyq

L0jyq

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

Hmm...well I don't want to send you down a path that you won't be able to complete safely...

If you can tell me the direct path to the file in question, I can give you step by step directions. It involves navigating to the location of the file in question within a Command Prompt, using the task manager to stop the "explorer.exe" process, then deleting the file. After the delete, the task manager is used to open explorer.exe again and you're back up and running.

For some reason, the GUI on XP sometimes stops you from deleting files, but when the GUI is turned off, the DOS part of windows is able to delete things just fine. (assuming this is what's going on for you).

It's fairly simple, you'd only be using "cd" for Change Directory, and "del <filename>" for "delete file", once you're in the directory (folder) that the file is stored in.

You might want to google "navigating inside DOS" or something similar and get a little more familiar with it before you go anywhere with this option

#7 Bob10113

Bob10113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

That's ok. The file I needed to delete was already successfully deleted... though if I ever need something deleted and it can't be done by myself, I'll keep you in mind.

#8 CompuMechs

CompuMechs

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

I'm glad this worked for you Bob101113. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users