Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smada

smada

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

In an effort to speed up my computer, I may have caused issues with the registry. I am running XP SP3. I think the problem occurred when I used the utility "Driver Sweeper," which cleans up old, unused drivers. Maybe a half hour after using the program, my computer froze. When I restarted it, a blue screen came up and told me about a corrupt SYSTEM file. I rebooted in safe mode with networking and fold a Microsoft program that fixes this problem for you. Then when i rebooted again and i got a blue screen that said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA. I ran chkdsk and rebooted and got another blue screen that read BAD_POOL_CALLER. I have ran Spybot:Search and Destroy, SUPERAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes Anti Malware, and my scans turned up empty, so I don't think this is the work of a virus, but sometimes you never know. Thank you for your help!

Edited by boopme, 11 June 2009 - 01:20 PM.
Moved to AII from XP ~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hello smada

You're right, this doesn't sound like the work of malware. This being the case, the best place for you to get help would be the XP forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/.

I will request for a mod to move this topic there.

Good luck!
~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

FWIW: "Old, unused drivers" can be removed easily by following the procedures outlined at Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...andDevices.html

No special program is needed.

Maybe you need to remove that program from your system, as Step 1.

For those STOP errors, you have various paths you can tread.

a. Check Event Viewer for details of such. Looking at the detail for errors may provide the same clues as the next procedure.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

b. Try following procedures outlined at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

c. Follow this guide and attempt to do it on your own, using Google and logic: Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages (AUMHA) - http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Louis

#4 smada

smada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

I have tried all these suggestions and have found nothing that solves my problem. All that has changed is the error message. Now I am getting a message that says "The driver is attempting to access memory beyond the end of the allocation." I am thinking about reinstalling Windows, but I would rather not. It would be nice if there was a utility that can show you what is going on with my computer so I could get step-by-step directions. Thank you for your help!

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Turn it off
Turn it on & start tapping the F8 key
You should get a screen offering startuo options.
[It may take a few tries to get it]
Use the arrow key[s] to hilite "Last known good configuration" & press Enter.

If that doesn't do it do a System Restore to a date before the problem started.
[a lot easier the a reinstall & you don't lose anything]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 smada

smada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

When I try to use the last know good configuration, I get a message saying "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\Windows\system32\config\SYSTEM." System restore doesn't respond when I click "Next" at the "Confirm Restore Point Selection." Could this be because I am in Safe Mode? Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users