Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Main Computer No WiFi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2-Cups

2-Cups

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

Ok, here's the deal :thumbsup:

Two years ago I was using AOL (dial-up) for my internet service, but decoded to change to DSL (through a different ISP). At that time, all I was using for a computer was my main tower system (Dell Demension 3000), so I followed the installation CD, and had it hardwired directly to the modem. I then purchased a laptop pc equiped with WiFi, and purchased a router to include it on my home network. I have also added another laptop (Wifi) for my grandson to use as well on the network (I guess it's called a network, as they all work off of the same ISP).

So, I then had one "Main" computer (hardwired to the modem), and two laptops set up via router (Wifi), and all was well. However, the Main computer (hardwired) developed a hardrive problem (BSOD), and I had to send it off to be repaired. The hardrive had some kind of an error, and had to be reset back to the exact settings that came with the computer when I first plugged it in out of the box. NO Aol, and No DSL, but just the normal out of the box programs & adverisements (trial version everything), and Windows XP (Home Edition).

I want to hook the main PC back up to the network (using a hardwire), but I don't want to mess up the security setup that I have for the laptops (running from the router). I only have the two laptops running at this time. Can I run a hardwire directly to the router, and just let it download the settings automaticaly to the Dell Tower (No WiFi), or will I have to wire the Main PC to the modem, and setup another security for that particular computer. I want them all to be using the same ISP, but i'm not sure how to hook the main system back up after it's been cleaned of all the original setup for DSL.

In other words, which would be the best way to add the Dell Demension to the network, while it dosent have WiFi...........Modem or Router connection, and how do I do either.

Thanks,
2-Cups

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Just run a line from the NIC on the system...to the router (router should have four ports for wired connections).

Then run the Network Setup Wizard in XP.

http://www.petri.co.il/whats_network_setup..._windows_xp.htm

When the wizard asks how you intend to connect to the Internet...residential gateway (router) is the method.

Setting up a wired connection has nothing to do with wireless connections, the method of connection (wired or wireless) is unimportant as long as the correct procedures are followed. The router (residential gateway) is the key piece.

Louis

#3 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

[quote name='hamluis' date='Jun 11 2009, 11:39 AM' post='1295570']
Hi :thumbsup:.

Just run a line from the NIC on the system...to the router (router should have four ports for wired connections).

Then run the Network Setup Wizard in XP.

http://www.petri.co.il/whats_network_setup..._windows_xp.htm

When the wizard asks how you intend to connect to the Internet...residential gateway (router) is the method.

Setting up a wired connection has nothing to do with wireless connections, the method of connection (wired or wireless) is unimportant as long as the correct procedures are followed. The router (residential gateway) is the key piece.

Louis

Ok, I think I have it understood. I just need to run a line from the NIC (I think you're talking about the larger line, not the phone line connection) from the computer to the router (any of the 4 ports), and follow the wizard instructions. I'm just wanting to include this PC (hardwired) without messing up any of the security settings for the WiFi being controlled from the wireless router to the laptops. I'm guessing that Windows XP setup wizard will obtain this information and install it on the main computer.

Thanks for the help,
2-Cups

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Just think of the router as

a. A filter designed to keep malware off any system connected to it (either wired or wireless).

b. The means by which multiple computers can connect to the Internet (a residential gateway).

c. The means for facilitating a home network between different computers.

Any settings on a router are not capable of being disturbed by any one computer and no computer can interfere with/change the settings for any other connected computer.

Louis

#5 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

That's what I was wondering about.

Thanks again
2-Cups