Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with my monitor - help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:04 AM

:thumbsup: Ok.. I have a flatscreen 15" monitor which recently, wont come on when i switch the pc off at night. It has only started doing this since I started to switch the monior off as well as the console (I know what you are thinking...dont switch monitor off then...well Ive tried that and it still wont come on ).

When i switch the pc on my monitor light is on and the screen clicks then nothing..black screen and the light stays on (green). I have tried unpluggin and replugging the monitor and after a while when i have persistenly switched the on/off button on the front of monitor it eventually comes on.

I have checked the monitor settings and realised that the brightness was waaay too high so have adjusted that and the contrast. Also saw that the hz was at 72 instead of 60 (am not technical so forgive me please lol) so adjusted that to 60 as it should be.

I have tried troubleshooting..right clicking the desktop to find the settings for the screensaver..all that and still no luck.

I am now putting pc in hibernation mode..have done that twice. First night i switched off the monitor -next morning switched it on - then console...nothing..black screen or it flashes white then black screen but green on/off light stays on and i cant switch it on or off without unplugging.

My setting for the monitor allow hibernation which i ticked recently so i could do that. But my energy saving settings (something called Engery Star which i have never messed with) say NEVER to switching off.

Are my settings contradicting each other or is monitor on its way out (purchased with pc in 2001)

If anyone can help me in non technical terms I would be very very grateful as now I have no idea where to go or what to do.

Many thanks hope i havent rabbitted on for too long - its been way too long since ive been here - forgive me :huh:
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

Have you tried a different Monitor?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi Sneaky :huh:

Afraid Im a poor English girl - only one monitor :thumbsup:

Im still having problems can eventually get it on but it flashes white the whole screen or just stays black..I still think maybe a setting isnt correct but have no idea what or why?
Posted Image

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

Do you have a friend that you can borrow a monitor from to try on your computer?

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:58 AM

Hi again

I dont unfortunately - most have laptops.

This morning, after pc was in hibernation, I pressed console button..no problems - monitor on/off button had amber light on but monitor didnt come on so I pressed on/off button and screen flashed white -green light was on..nothing. Had to unplug and replug monitor from back and switch on/off button on - still no luck..it either went to white screen (like it was burning or something a flash if you like of white OR i saw my desktop briefly before it went to black screen and i could vaguely make out my desktop picture.

Eventually, i switched monitor on via on/off button to where it flashed to white screen..left it for a bit..switched it off using on/off button and voila..it came on.

Its frustrating that I dont know what I'm doing or doing wrong if I am - being a non putery person is aggravating I can tell ye!
Posted Image

#6 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:11 AM

Could someone tell me please what my settings should be when i right click my desktop (am talking mostly about my power settings) as I just have a feeling I may be contradicting those settings by putting my pc and monitor into hibernation at night.

Many thanks - this is driving me to distraction :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

You can have your monitor set to Always on an just manually turn it off at night before you go to bed. I am starting to think its a bad monitor. Without having a good one to test its impossible to be sure. You may want to see if a computer store near you can connect it to a monitor and see if it works. They may likely do it because if its the monitor there's a chance you will buy one from them.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

Hi

Thankyou very much for taking the time to answer me Sneaky - and yes - think it could be the monitor on its last legs. Shall try changing the setting to Always On as you suggest and see if that helps - never had this problem until i started turning the damn monitor off at nights (wished I hadnt now :thumbsup: ).

As always, you guys at Bleeping are the best - missed being here :huh:

Many thanks again.

Posted Image

#9 Widdybear77

Widdybear77

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

Dollyeyes,

I have three monitors [1] a 1998 gateway vx900 19inch CRT, [2] a 2001 19inch KDS CRT [3] a 2001 17inch Sylvania CRT. 2 still work the Gateway and the Sylvania and I still use them. The Sylvania is with a lesser computer with a unix based OS because it no longer handles the tech of the day its very dark and murky. The KDS bit the big one in 2007. The Gateway keeps up with the tech of the day amazingly well.
Now the Gateway was used over used and played every game just about from 98 to 08'. The other two well the KDS lived most of its short life on hibernation and power savers and the Sylvania part of the time.
In my experience Power savers and hibernation shorten the lifespan of CRTs. They function best 'on' with a nifty none obtrusive screensaver. You will save your monitor by not hibernating it or using power savers. Want it off 'turn' it off. Had a problem with one monitor a Hanns-G flatscreen. Turned off the windows, motherboard and monitor software power savers and hibernation settings and it ran like a dream.
I don't know whether any of this will help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users