Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White screen when i switch on my laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pravr2009

pravr2009

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:51 AM

Hi,
I have a sony vaio laptop,which was working fine.Today when i switch it on in the mornin i get a blank white screen. Task manager is not working and i have no idea wat might be the problem.kindly help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

do u get this at bios screen too ? or when your when your os just starts?
well i had the same problom with a medion laptop(aldi) i would press the on butten and it would be a white screen which would fade to black and one side of the screen would fade to blue lines
lucky i had warrenty
turned out it was the mother bored was faulty
i hope you still have warrenty

#3 pravr2009

pravr2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hi,
I don get a BIOS screen and i do not have a warranty.Must be a hardware failure i guess.And suggestions would really help.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

yer its hard ware problom
if it happaned when the os started then we could say it may be a software problom
so mabye some one can repair it
but wait intill some one else say some thing they may have some manuel on how to fix it or some thing

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

The plain whit screen usually points to the video cable from the motherboard to the back of the LCD panel itself. This normally happens from the lid being opened and closed over and over again. ( although what choice do you have if you want to utilize your laptop ).

The one thing you can use as a test for your laptop would be to connect an external monitor to the VGA connector and turn the laptop on. It should automatically turn on the external monitor and not the LCD screen. If it does not come on, try using the FN+F5 key or whatever "F+number" key looks like a computer and monitor to turn the external monitor on.

If this works, you know it's the LCD panel or the cable to the panel. Normal breakage is in the area of the hinge.

If this does NOT work, it's very possible that you have a more serious hardware issue with your laptop.

One question though. When trying to power on your laptop, if you leave it sit after hitting the power button, does the hard drive light flicker as if the computer is booting up?

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 pravr2009

pravr2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

One question though. When trying to power on your laptop, if you leave it sit after hitting the power button, does the hard drive light flicker as if the computer is booting up?

Hope this helps,

Thanks techextreme the info u gave is of great help,and yes the hard drive light flickers and the comp is booting up.The only problem is with the display,ill try with an external moniter if that doesn work ill rip apart my laptop to check the cable conneting to the LCD.

thanks

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:13 AM

You may find when you open the laptop and look at the cable it will be covered with a bronze colored cloth-type tape. Take a close look at where it bends in the hinge area. It will probably look worn through and you may possibly see one or more wires broken in half. If that is the case, then you know that you have definately found your problem.

Now for the good news. Just about all sony laptops and desktops for that matter have parts available to be purchased directly from Sony themself. It takes a bit to find the area for searching for and ordering parts on their website but I know it's there.

Good luck in your search.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 pravr2009

pravr2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:18 AM

Thank you once again for your help.
when i opened the backcover of my laptop and switch on, the fan is not working.before removing the cover i thought it was booting,but now i have a doubt that the comp is not booting.what is wrong pls help me.

Edited by pravr2009, 12 June 2009 - 10:27 PM.

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

Have you tried booting with an external monitor?

Most Sony Laptops will "not" power on with the case removed. Too many parts that are required for proper operation are disconnected.

I would still look for the video cable being broken or having one or more wires broken to be your problem.

Other than that, I would reassemble the laptop and open it up. Stand it on its side and once again power it on. Check your CPU fan for operation after being powered on.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#10 pravr2009

pravr2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

hi,
i did a boot with externalmonitor but it doesn work.can you tell me where i can find a service manual for disassembling the laptop for my model bcos i couldn find it anywhere on the net.My model is VGN-CR11gh.but im still wondering wat exactly might be the problem.

#11 hulander

hulander

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:09 AM

Well i think that the windows of your laptop is corrupt due to some reason..
Reinstallation may fix this problem..Posted Image
Technology Lover...Posted Image

#12 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:14 AM

hulander
reinstalling windows wont do nothing
becasue its the lcd or mother bored problom not a software problom
and he cant reinstall windows becasue he cant see nothing on hes screen and
no bios screen

#13 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

Unfortunately if the laptop did not boot with an external monitor, and your cpu fan runs for about 2 seconds and turns off, I would say that your motherboard has gone defective on you.

If you would like to disassemble the laptop and look further into your problems with this laptop, the manual can be found here http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/392...ONY_VGN-FS.html

My only other suggestion, before you dismantle the laptop entirely, would be to remove and reset the memory just to be sure everything is seated properly.

My gut instinct with the problems you are describing tell me "replace the motherboard".

Good Luck,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#14 pravr2009

pravr2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions,the fan does not work when the back cover is open.i did a partial dismantle and the fan and the external display is working ,so i guess as you said its the defective cable which i have not yet removed.cos there is no proper disassembly manual for my model.

#15 olorenzo8

olorenzo8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

The plain whit screen usually points to the video cable from the motherboard to the back of the LCD panel itself. This normally happens from the lid being opened and closed over and over again. ( although what choice do you have if you want to utilize your laptop ).

The one thing you can use as a test for your laptop would be to connect an external monitor to the VGA connector and turn the laptop on. It should automatically turn on the external monitor and not the LCD screen. If it does not come on, try using the FN+F5 key or whatever "F+number" key looks like a computer and monitor to turn the external monitor on.

If this works, you know it's the LCD panel or the cable to the panel. Normal breakage is in the area of the hinge.

If this does NOT work, it's very possible that you have a more serious hardware issue with your laptop.

Hope this helps,

So I am having this problem with a Sony laptop and I tried what you stated with the external monitor and it worked on there, what steps can I take now since I know the external monitor is working? Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users