Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maybe This Will Help .. Thanks ZuBrain

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:45 AM

Attached File  DocumentFinal.jpg   151.51KB   23 downloads

After LOTS of experimentation, I Think that I have a "readable" screen capture here. :thumbsup:

For those that don't know what or why I am posting this: I have a windows xp pro pc that for Over a year I have tried Everything to get the display colors back into viewable condition. :inlove:

This pc is the Media Center Edition, GM5045E from Gateway.
It came with an "Integrated" GeForce 6200 'turbo cache' video card.
I am guessing that the onboard chip and card work together.

Somewhere along the way, the pc lost the ability to see/find the video card.

Well, at least according to Device manager .. The cards not there!?
I find that hard to believe because other than missing any reds in my display .. Everything else works Great. :flowers:

Even after downloading the drivers for the card .. Nothing changes. :cool:

That nvidia 6100 that you see in the device manager is the onboard chip .. I Think.

That brings me back to the reason for the attachment.
Maybe someone, somewhere can see a conflict or some other problem by looking at a screen capture from the Device Manager?

Thanks Everyone and A BIG "THANK YOU" to ZuBrain for Snippy. :trumpet:

MC (AKA: Paul)

BTW: I've done a complete 'Destructive' restore and had good color for about a week and then .."Poof" gone again.
For a while the colors would flash in and out, (good/bad) but even that has stopped.

Edited by MrClose, 11 June 2009 - 01:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

I have no idea really, but some thoughts...

A VGA 15 pin connection has 2 connections for each color - 2 for red, 2 for blue, 2 for green. The other pins do other things of course.

When it is not showing red, have you tried jiggling (not a scientific term) the VGA cable on each end to see if the red comes back or flashes in and out? Give both ends an attention getting shove. Undo the VGA cable, try a different VGA cable, etc. Do you have another monitor to try?

Could it be heat related? I found a picture of a 6200 and it has a fan on it (active cooling), so is the fan running? Some do not have fans apparently (passive cooling). Does it work okay when it is cool and then fail to show red when it heats up later?

Have you tried to reseat the card? Is there another slot to try?

How about when the system boots? If you go into the BIOS for example, are there any reds in there that display okay and then do the reds fail once XP loads?

My monitor has a configuration mode that display in a lot of colors that have nothing to do with the video - it displays all the colors in the setup even if there is no video coming in. Does your monitor display all the colors in a setup type configuration?

How about if you try to edit a Word document or something - can you select some text and change it to red? Is the problem that you just can't see anything in red anywhere or is it just in certain applications?

Have you ever seen it in Device Manager? Here is a paste from someone else where their card did not show up in Device Manager (which may not apply to your hardware, even though I looked at the manual):

Does the computer have integrated video? Do this. when the computer boots up, have the monitor cable plugged into the onboard graphics. Once on desktop do this: right click on My Computer > properties > hardware tab > device manager > expand (by clicking the + sign) the display adapters icon > you should see the 6200 card and either Intel > SIS > VIA (maybe something else, but that's what i can think of off the top of my head ATM) > right click on that other device (not the geforce one) > click disable > click "ok" when it asks about the hardware changes > click "ok" when it asks to reboot > plug the monitor cable back into the 6200 card. At that point all should be well.

This sounds interesting:

If you do all that and it still doesn't work, then go into your system BIOS and set the primary display adapter from onboard to PCI. Restart the machine saving settings, and all should be well.

Maybe that does not apply exactly to you, but there maybe something in the BIOS to tell if to find/use that card so XP can see it.

Gateway has a support forum - have you tried there?

I have a nice Gateway I got about 10+ years ago. The only thing in it that has not been replaced is the floppy! The PS just quit about a month ago.

Edited by joseibarra, 11 June 2009 - 12:19 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

Joseibarra,
Thanks so much for your input.

Heating is not the problem.
I get no color at start up or any other time anymore.

I have two monitors (one brand new) and two flat panel lcd's that I've tried with the machine.

Problem is, The GeForce card no longer shows in device manager anymore and I have no idea why.

I have tried two brand new VGA cables on the machine but ..
I will try the cable wiggle thing anyway. LOL

P.S. The card has no fan, only a heat sink.

I Do have a Great new Gateway!
It's the FX4710-UB802A
Great 24" monitor that came with it too!

I posted the following in another forum .. Maybe it can clarify some things?
===============

This is where my confusion comes in.
From the day I brought the pc home and plugged it in .. I could never plug 'directly' into the GeForce 6200 card and get a signal .. never!
Didn't matter if you turned the onboard off or not.
From day one, It always had to run from the onboard port.
I have been told so many different things about the workings of the video that I just don't know what to believe.

I've been told that the 6200 card which is plugged into the pci ex slot works 'with' the onboard.

If I disable the onbord, I get the same colors but, the scrolling, mouse movements and magnifier are jerky as hell.

All of this while still being plugged into the onboard port.
No matter what .. You can Never get anything when you plug into the GeForce 6200 card's port.

Other cards have been tried by the now defunct 'techs' at Circuit City (firedog) and they Did get a display through the new cards but the colors were still messed up!

I don't know if they tried disabling the onboard at the time.
They didn't seem to know too much after keeping the pc for two months!

Why would Gateway have a GeForce card in the unit in the first place if you could only run it using the onboard with it?
Can you see my confusion here? LOL

BTW: This new pc of mine .. Is Great .. (Even if it is another Gateway).

Thanks

Edited by MrClose, 11 June 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

That is all additional information and most interesting.

It sounds like the GE card has never worked? That's rude.

I could not tell if there was another onboard VGA port from looking at the pictures.

I poked around some more and didn't come up with additional ideas or anything promising - one place said it is probably a motherboard failure, but yours hasn't worked right out of the box (still could be MB though).

I think if it was me and I had another computer to use and the afflicted box was somewhat "expendable" and open to experimentation, I might choose to clear the CMOS on the MB and then carefully go through the BIOS settings without trying to be too complicated about it and see what happens. Maybe just the basics or defaults.

None of your data or XP configuration would be at risk and the worst is you would have to tinker with the BIOS to get things right. You could take some notes before you cleared it.

This is why I was curious if you see any red in the POST and if it no longer show red when XP loads. My BIOS is very colorful.

While your at it, you can note the BIOS version and see if there is an update and any documentation that hints at this kid of problem. Flashing a BIOS involves a certain amount of risk - like it might not ever work again if you do it wrong.

Did you try changing some text in a Word document to different colors?

Is there another slot you can try the GE card in?

Do the folks at Gateway have anything to say, is it still under some protection plan with them, etc.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

Jose

No color in POST and as far as changing colors in word texts, no also.
The picture that Gateway shows of the machine shows the onboard port only.
The xp that I have came with the much discused GeForce 6200 card and .. it's true .. Never worked, not even out of the box.
Of course I was pretty dumb at that time and thought that when I plugged into the "Other" blue thing (VGA Port LOL) and got a display .. That was how it was supposed to be!?

I'm thinking about going to Wally World and picking up a cheapo nvidia card and see if it will work.
If I had a clue as to How .. I'd like to take a multimeter to the card and or the pci slot to see if either of them are bad.

Thanks again Jose

MC (aka: Paul)

The following url shows the actual board and it's connections:

http://tinyurl.com/m5uj42

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

Good luck.

At least the diagram shows 'L' in case you care to try that. :thumbsup:

Do you have an available 'N' to try with the card you have?

#7 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Jose
I have a sound card and a tv tuner card plugged into the two standard pci slots already.

"I Think" that they work even though I haven't tried either of them out for a while.

As for clearing the CMOS .. I've done it a few times with no effect.
The only time anything has helped was when I did a complete Destructive Restore about a month ago.

To my surprise the color was back .. for about a week 8(
After that full week of color the thing would start to 'flicker' on and off (bad to good color) until it went to bad all of the time.

BTW: All of this when connected through the onboard VGA port.

Even after that restore .. I still couldn't get a display through the video card.
(I think that you may have been right .. Bad card from the beginning)

I'll keep you up to date Jose and .. Thanks Again!

MC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users