Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change desktop icons from button-style to XP/win9x style.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sinfull Dreamer

Sinfull Dreamer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

This is something that has been bugging me sense windows vista. The desktop icons are too far away from each other and I don't like the button style icons. I wish there was a way to change them to the old windows xp/win9x style icons. There must be a registry tweak or something. Maybe there is not and the only way to change it would be with reshacker. But I'd thought I would check here first.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

There are countless sites on the Web where you can download these icons. I'll let you do a Bing search to find a couple.

But, once you get them, here's a bit of info that might help you change the icons:

# You can select the picture file (that has an image file with a .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .tiff, .png, or .ico file name extension) that identifies a folder in Thumbnails view. If you do not select a picture, Windows Explorer uses the folder icon. If you do not select a folder icon, Windows Explorer automatically creates a folder picture for Thumbnails view by using a Folder.gif file in the folder or by using up to the first four image files in the folder. If the folder does not contain any images, Windows Explorer uses the default folder picture.

To find the picture that you want to use to identify the folder, click Choose Picture.

If you want Windows Explorer to use Folder.gif or the first four image files in the folder to identify the folder, click Restore Default. If the folder does not contain any images, Windows Explorer uses the default folder picture.
# Folder Icons

To select an icon to remind you of the folder's contents in Tiles, Icons, List, and Details views, click Change Icon. Thumbnails view also uses the folder icon if you do not specify a folder picture. You can select any image file that has an .ico file name extension, an icon in a program file that has an .exe file name extension, or an icon in a program library file that has a .dll file name extension to use for the folder icon. This option is not available when you customize a network share or a folder on a mapped network drive.

Note To restore the default folder icons, click Change Icon, and then click Restore Defaults.
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users