Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&D can't remove 4 files!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Galadriel

Lady Galadriel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:11 PM

Can anyone please help? I have Windows ME on my computer. At this time it isn't hooked up to the internet and hasn't been for a year (I moved in with my husband and we've just been using his computer) Well, I fired up my computer and it wouldn't run scandisk...kept getting that annoying error that it had restarted 10 times so I turned scandisk off. I discovered we had ad/spyware probs on the other computer so I thought it might be that. Spydot fixed this one, so I ran it on mine with ME. Well, it found 162 threats my gosh! And it will get rid of all but 4 of them. Says they are still writing to the disk might still be in the memory type thing. Then asked if I wanted Spybot to run at startup that this would fix the problem. Well I let it run at startup twice and the same threats are still there! Why can't it get rid of them, and is there anything I can do to remove them?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:29 PM

Please post a hijackthis log in the hijackthis log forums. There is a post pinned to the top of that forum that explains how to do this.

Thanks

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:51 AM

Suggest you consider running scandisk ( and defrag, for that matter) in Safe Mode---this will most likely solve your problems with scandisk restarting.

If you have system restore enabled, then un-enable it, and run the application; this may get rid of the four items, but be sure to reset system restore afterwards.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Fuelm@n

Fuelm@n

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:15 AM

What are the names of the files that won't get deleted? There was a problem with Spybot showing a couple of false positives on some systems... (Showing some files as there when they weren't). Verify that you have the latest version with most recent update. hth
BleepingComputer Posted Image

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:42 AM

Good point..forgot about the DSO exploit..

What are these threats. If they are the DSO Exploits you can ignore them as they are a bug in Spybot and can be safely ignored.

#6 Lady Galadriel

Lady Galadriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:29 PM

Thank you for all your replies. I actally took the Norton anitvirus off the computer (it's not hooked to the internet and was the 2001 version) cause I read that it could interfere. Then I ran Spybot in safe mode and it got rid of everything! I know that one of the threats was DSO exploit but it did get rid of it. Thanks, tho I'll keep that in mind for the future. One was Cydoor, one was Hackdial or something. Shoulda written them down. And my version was just d/l yesterday, so it was the most up to date, thanks.

BTW, I did try running scandisk in safe mode before all this and it still looped. I tried again last night after clearing all the threats and it still did this and gave me the restart 10 times message.

I'll check into the hijack thing, right now I don't know what you're talking about. lol

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2004 - 01:47 PM

I would reboot into safe mode and try running scandisk that way. If you have any problems that access the hard drive during a scan disk it can reset itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users