Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having a problem with harddrives...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cowwy

cowwy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:37 PM

A friend of the family recently passed away and his computer was given to us. I opened it up and all i found there 2 be 2 hard drives inside 1 master and 1 slaev connected to the moth board through 1 40 pin cable iwith 2 40 pins hookup thingys. The slave peice of the cable broke off leaving the hookup in the hard drive. The master is still connected however. Its not entirely nessacary that i fix this but are there any suggestions on getting the peice out of the hard drive? The master still seems to work fine. Where can i buy those 40 pin cables?

Whenever i started the computer up I am unable to even get into the BIOS before a password comes up. It allows me to enter 8 characters and gives me 3 tries before i have to restart it...given the fact that there are about 169 quadrillon possibilities i dont see myself having the 4 years of time to try them all so i would like to try to just wipe the entire hard drive. I cant get it to load the operating system disk or even a dos boot disk because as i said it goes right to the password before i can do anything.....Any ideas on how ican wipe it?

As far as model numbers, i cant see the hard drive or unmount it easily so icant get anything off of it but if you can tell me where to look for other model number or anything like that id be happy to get them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:14 PM

Hi cowwy,
Here's a link from the Gateway site on how to find your serial number:

http://support.gateway.com/s/misc/custidse...arningsu3.shtml

Then you can type in your serial number on the Gateway support site and find out lots about your system.
http://support.gateway.com/support/default...lid=support_top

The cables tp your hard drive are caled IDE cables, there are a few sorts (40 wire, 80 wire, round or flat) but they will all fit your hard drive. If you are in the US Newegg have some good quality 80 wire cables, but any place that does PC repairs should have some.
Getting the broken connector out may be a problem, but if there are a bunch of pronged pieces of metal sticking out of the back of the connector you can just get your pliers onto them and heave, that should do it.

Re the password, that is probably a BIOS password if it comes up straight away. You may be able to clear the BIOS by finding a jumper near the battery called "CMOS Clear" or similar. See the Gateway site for instructions.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 cowwy

cowwy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

I got this motherboard model from that site-

Intel (Kitty Hawk 1.5) Motherboard 1.2-GHz Celeron R1

Any idea where i can find the CMOS Clear thingy on it? i looked but didnt see it.

Edited by cowwy, 02 July 2005 - 06:20 PM.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

Look here http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTE...2515960mv.shtml

Click the square next to item Q for info. They have slightly different options to what I'm familiar with but the 'configure' option looks like what you want.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 cowwy

cowwy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for all your help rimmer:) it works:):thumbsup: i still gotta get the other hardrive installed when iget around to getting another cable though, will i need to install the operating system on that one also?

#6 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:33 AM

Hi cowwy,

No you won't need to install the operating system on the slave drive. Think of it as a blank depository.......the comp will recognise it as the slave when it boots and you should see it in explorer as a second drive.....probably "E" drive.

If you didn't touch anything on the slave drive other than plug in a new cable that is !

Cheers
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users