Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrisshehu

chrisshehu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

ive heard alot of good things about linux and would like to install a copy on my pc but i need to keep windows xp as well how do i do that and were can i get a free version of linux preferably less then 150MB or it needs to have a resume download server otherwise i cant download it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:13 PM

If you want to experiment with Linux, the best thing that I have found to use is Knoppix.
You boot directly from the Knoppix CD, and you can experiment with Linux without having to format or use dual boot systems. When you get sick of it, you simply remove the CD, and go back to your regular OS.

The only problem is, it is bigger than the 150MB size that you mentioned.
I am not sure about the "resume download server"...
Could you get a friend to download it for you?

Anyways, here's more information from www.knoppix.com

KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it (over 8GB on the DVD "Maxi" edition).

Here's a direct link to the website.

Knoppix Website
JC

#3 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:08 PM

ive heard alot of good things about linux and would like to install a copy on my pc but i need to keep windows xp as well how do i do that and were can i get a free version of linux preferably less then 150MB or it needs to have a resume download server otherwise i cant download it

Start out with a "LiveCD" like "DamnSmallLinux" it is so easy to use and it don't touch your harddrive. You can get it at www.linuxquestions.org for free (As most Linux Distros are)

#4 turrauko

turrauko

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:34 AM

Damn Small Linux is a great little tool, Linux on the Go, seriously. It'll load up on a USB key and best of all, it's bootable. Yep.

Anyway... you may want to go another route and install it on a virtual machine to run inside of Windows in a little window. You can do this with VMWare (we're talking some money, but you can get a trial version, I believe it's 90 dyas), Bochs or QEMU (the later being fairly difficult to setup, I've found). QEMU is really cool, it even allows you to emulate other architectures like Sparc and the PPC, something not even VMWare does as of yet.

As for the file size restriction, this won't be a viable option unless you get someone else to download it for you.

Edited by turrauko, 02 August 2005 - 01:34 AM.

#5 tictoc

tictoc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:19 AM

I know this reply is a bit after the fact but I was surprised that noone mentioned bittorrent for solving the download issue...AFAIK, all BT clients auto-resume upon starting/restarting a torrent.
It's not too hard to find a torrent for any distro either :thumbsup:

Edited by tictoc, 03 August 2005 - 05:19 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users