Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop power

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

I have a question regarding a Gateway MX6450 laptop. I just bought this laptop for my son. It did not have a working mobo, so I bought a used one on eBay, installed it, and everything was working great for about a day. Now I have an issue I don't fully understand.

The power switches between battery and A/C. You do not have to move the power cord, or do anything to the computer, it does this all on it's own, in a rhythm:

3 seconds on battery,
1 second on A/C,
3 seconds on battery,
1 second on A/C...etc...

At first you might think this is the dc jack, but again moving the power cord has no effect on this, plus it does not seem loose.

I used a meter on the A/C adapter and I show a constant 19.6 volts. It does not waver.

So, is this an issue with the A/C adapter, the dc jack, or the mobo? And how do I test?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 10 June 2009 - 05:25 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

Could be a problem with either the battery or the power circuit. For some reason the laptop seems to think its loosing AC power. I would try the laptop without the battery in and see if it turns off. Also check and see if the battery is charging properly.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hello,

Well, I removed the battery, pluged in the A/C, and when I push the power button I get just a flash of lights and then no lights. If I hold down the power button it continues in the same rhythm, a flash of lights - no lights for 2 seconds or so - a flash of lights - no lights for 2 seconds or so....etc.

Hmmmmm. <scratches head> :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

According to manufacture specs the out put of the power brick is 19V. Somethings sounds fishy with the Motherboard. Did the board have a separate charging circuit or was the charging jack mounted to the motherboard? You may want to contact the vendor that sold it to you.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

RESOLVED.

The issue was with the A/C adapter. I bought a new one and everything is fine now.

I have never seen this particular issue before, and it sure was pointing to a bad mobo, but nope. It was the A/C adapter. Thanks for your help.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

Awesome. Glad it was something easier than a new MOBO

Chad Mockensturm