Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log on /log off loop & Black screen hang

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hiddnhippie

hiddnhippie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

Well, now I've done it. I had the same log on log off loop problem I've seen posted a few times. (Where XP logs me out right after logging in) I followed the same procedures in a few articles, with no improvement. Even a paralell install off my system disk, still no difference. So the last thing I did was (from the MS/XP site) I copied all 5 hives then deleted & re-installed them- Weeelll this must have been an OEM installation cuz now I can't even get into recovery console from the system disk, (there was a warning about that on MS --oops!) The laptop in question doesn't get used alot anymore but, I do have a few business files I like to find & copy off ( if it's at all possible now)
When I get to the "press any key to boot from CD" prompt, I can go into RC, as far as "press R to enter repair", when asked for the administrator password it just says "password is not valid" (just hitting "enter"- never had a password). I can do it 3 times then the system resarts. When I started into this a few days ago one of the first things I did was run the hard drive test in setup It ran through the "quick test" OK. The "comprehensive test" returned results with "#02-7 Fail" message. I'm sure I'm screwed, it's just a matter of how badly. Thanxs in advance for any info, I'm new to the site but in the right hands, the Info here is true accurate & good. (.........maybe my hands aren't the right ones-huh?) :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:27 PM

Whose hard drive diagnostic?

Any clarification of errors should be available at the website of whomever authored the diagnostic (Dell, Gateway, Hitachi, etc.).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users