Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my antivirus is failing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

Hello,

I've got Shaw Secure Antivirus on my computer. When I do a full scan, it starts out normal but then slows down once it gets to about 40,000 files. It then grinds to a halt at about 50,000 files. During this time, it detects 2 viruses. I can't do anything about these viruses since it is not able to complete the scan.

Can anyone help me?

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

Never heard of Shaw Secure. You can try an online scanner:

Edited by sidorak95, 10 June 2009 - 02:42 PM.

#3 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

I downloaded MBAM and did a full system scan. It finished in a timely manner and found no viruses. Why would Shaw Secure detect 2 viruses but MBAM detect none?

#4 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

It could be False Positives. Did you update MBAM? If not, update and run another Full Scan.

#5 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:54 PM

False positives are a possibility, but it would be nice to be sure. Any insights on how my antivirus might be slowing down then halting at 50,000 files? (I have all other security software turned off when it runs).

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

Shaw is a cable company in Western Canada. They offer Shaw Secure to their customers. I think it's provided by F-Secure. Sometimes an anti virus will partially block a virus but it will affect the anti virus and uninstall and reinstall usually will fix that. I had a similar problem with my Rogers provided Norton a few months ago and that's what I did.

http://shawsecure.shaw.ca/

Edited by frankp316, 10 June 2009 - 06:25 PM.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Was this problem with your antivirus program happening before you ran ComboFix and had Malwarebytes take care of the problems it found before?

If not, then it is possible that the running of ComboFix caused the problem or that having Malwarebytes remove files did something to it.

If it was, then it is possible that the viruses you had/have are interfering with the running of your antivirus.

Since one of the viruses being picked up by your virus protection is in a System Restore file, it won't cause any damage to your computer unless you use that restore point to restore your computer so I would not worry too much about that one, but you might want to consider cleaning out all your restore points if you cannot get the file cleaned. If the other one was not picked up before you ran ComboFix, it could very well be picking up something in that program as a threat when it isn't.

Your best bet in fixing the problem with your antivirus program is just what someone else said, try uninstalling then reinstalling that program to fix the problem with it.

#8 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

Was this problem with your antivirus program happening before you ran ComboFix and had Malwarebytes take care of the problems it found before?

No, this is on a different computer than the one I ran ComboFix on. Both computers have ShawSecure, but the one on which I ran ComboFix seems completely unaffected. However, I did download and run MBAM on both.

Actually, what I think caused the virus is a bittorrent downloader which I installed on both computers (even though I was sure to scan any downloaded files for viruses before openning them). I will be uninstalling it right away.

As for ShawSecure, I'm going to try your suggestion: uninstalling and reinstalling.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users