Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iFrame and Content management...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hello!

I am again working on a brand new project!

On my website, to help save loading time I have inserted a iframe into it, the iFrame has the name of "mainframe"

The iFrame is coded into my main content box which is in the middle of my website, I have a expandable box on the right of my website, and sadly when a user clicks a news article it opens in a new window

What I want is the news article to open in the iFrame "mainframe"

The content management i am using is Cutenews

If theres another one you recommend which is easier, more efficient with iFrames please advise me

Thanks
Jake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

Did you set the target for the link? Something like <href="random.html" target="mainframe">
This might be helpful.

#3 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

I wouldn't bother with Iframes personally..

For navigation around pages i'd just have normal links which open in the same window
and if I wanted to load some things without page reload say comment pages then i'd use AJAX

All your pages would usually have a common header and footer and sidebars anyway so it wouldn't be reloading these.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

I wouldn't bother with Iframes personally..

Of course, that wasn't the question, was it? I wouldn't bother answering posts in which I had nothing to add....personally. :thumbsup:

#5 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

Wouldn't it be better to push someone away from using something which you know is a whole heap of crap (iFrames) rather than give them guidence on how to use them?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:41 PM

Not unless you are actually taking the time to explain why. Merely stating "I wouldn't bother with IFrames" wouldn't compell me to change my mind at all, especially since there are completely valid uses for IFrames, the first reason being that AJAX is hard for beginners to get their heads around. Second reason being that IFrames can make requests to other domains, whereas AJAX can only call the domain from which the script was loaded.

See? Now at least the user (and anybody else that happens to search out this thread) has information on which they can base a decision. :thumbsup:

using something which you know is a whole heap of crap

Just because you have an opinion on something does not make it right Explain your opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users