Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hi, my friends laptop recently got infected by a virus. (I think. It doesn't boot, and stays stuck at the Windows loading screen, even overnight.) I recommended her to use an antivirus boot cd, but she says her computer tells her that "NTLDR is missing. Press any key to reboot." I looked it up, and found some causes at about.com.
According to #1, it says reboot. Tried that, and the error is still there. #2: Check for media. Nothing is in the laptop, no cds, floppys, or flash drives, etc... #3 Check the settings in BIOS. I haven't because i'm afraid i'll screw up the computer if i try. 4,5,6,7,11, & 12: Can't use the CDs. : It's a laptop, and I'll probably screw it up. 9: I can't boot to do that. 12: She says she going to buy a new laptop if we can't salvage this one. Any tips? Also, she can't boot in safe mode either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Can't use the CDs. : It's a laptop, and I'll probably screw it up

Does that mean the CDROM drive is broken or you do not want to try rebooting from the CD into the recovery console?

#3 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

When I try to boot from CD, it gives me that error.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

Well...you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot settings...if you want to use a bootable CD for anything.

Chances are, the system is set to boot from the hard drive, which is why you just get the NTLDR error message over and over.

If you are leary of trying to do things such as this...I suggest that you find someone who is more comfortable with computers and have them do it. It's not complicated or system-threatening.

Laptop manufacturer and model? What CDs do you have available for repair attempts?

Louis

#5 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

I'm not sure about the laptop specs, we talked over the phone and i forgot to ask her. She only has the Windows CD, but I can give her some bootable antivirus cds. (Dr.Web, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avira)

#6 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

#3 Check the settings in BIOS. I haven't because i'm afraid i'll screw up the computer if i try.....12: She says she going to buy a new laptop if we can't salvage this one. Any tips? Also, she can't boot in safe mode either.

If she's going to replace it if this can't be salvaged., you might as well check the bios for what they tell you. Can the laptop boot from USB?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:31 PM

How to fix: NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart

http://tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

The fix disk works.
I have used it many times.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

Bootable AV programs...aren't going to overcome "NTLDR is missing" messages from the system.

You seem to have glossed over this, but...if your friend's system is infected...she really ought to post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

The infection should be the priority, not any error messages as a result of the infection.

Louis

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

If you download the fix from the link I provided & make a disk it will fix the NTLDR is missing problem.
I have used the utility many times.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users