Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playing embedded .OGG audio files in IE8/Win 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

I have a part-time job where I work from home; it basically involves listening to audio clips embedded in a Javascript application on a website. The people who support it are short on technical skills. When I told them I was using IE8 and Windows 7 they scattered like roaches when you turn on the light. All they could do was parrot the party line that the recommended platform is 32-bit Windows XP and IE7; if I use anything else I am totally on my own. So that's why I'm here. When someone tells me something can't be done I know it's time to turn pro.

I've managed to do quite a bit on my own, but I'm still not quite there. I've gotten their site to run, up to the point where the Windows Media Player embedded in the browser tries to play the .OGG files. After that nothing happens; there is silence and the media player progress bar for the audio clip does not move. There are no error messages.

I'm thinking the problem may have something to do with the OGG codec. I downloaded and installed a Win 7 codecs package that included support for OGG Vorbis. The standalone Media Player will now play standalone .OGG files. The problem seems to be with the embedded Media Player in IE8 playing the OGG clips from the Jvascript application on the website.

I did manage to wrestle out of the tech support people that they have had a lot of problems with IE8 on all platforms; I seem to be one of the very few users that is able to use their site with IE8 on two other computers with Windows XP Pro. However, these are not fresh installs of IE8; they were instead upgrades of IE7. The tech support person thought there might be a problem with a fresh install of IE8 that was not upgraded from an earlier version.

So it's possible that I really have a problem not with Windows 7 but instead with a new installation of IE8. Obviously it's difficult to isolate one specific source of the problem.

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance here. The technical support people know of my contempt for their inabilities and are rooting for my failure. They love the excuse that it can't be done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

See if NCH (free) audio converter can help you play the files:
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

edit ---> also what version of Java are you using?
The latest is version 14
Updating Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 14.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.

Edited by Jacee, 10 June 2009 - 05:03 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm unclear how NCH will help. It appears to be an audio file converter. I can already play standalone OGG files, but there is no way to extract and save the audio clips in the online application (it's a secure proprietary application, and they go to great lengths to keep them out of the hands of users any other way; I would lose my job and be prosecuted via a penalty clause in my contract if I did anything else). They must be listened to inside the secure browser via the embedded Media Player.

I am using JRE V6 Update 13. I will uninstall it and download and install Update 14.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

I'm wondering if the K-Lite Codec Pack will help you.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I've used it many times and have only needed the "basic" version to be able to play all kinds of audio and video formats.

It's worth a shot.

Techextreme
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

Yes, both of your suggestions (installing JRE 6 Update 14 and the K-Lite Codec Pack) are worth a shot, but they did not solve the problem. I had been using the Win 7 Codecs, which I uninstalled prior to installing the K-Lite Pack. The behavior is the same: I can play standalone .OGG files but not the audio clips from the Javascript application in the secure browser using the embedded Media Player. Everything else about the Javascript application appears to work properly, which is a victory of sorts but not the golden ring.

The tech support people for the application say it can't be done and are continuing to root for my failure.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

Ok. This one intrigues me as I'm also one to tell "tech support".... Guess what... I figured it out.

So with that said, I did some digging. I found two sites that may help you in your journey to get this working properly.

The first one: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ogg.htm

This site shows how to set the registry ( this will require direct editing of the registry. Always use extreme caution when editing the registry by hand and make a backup first. A tutorial is available here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l74.html#backup ) This site also pointed me directly to the ogg vorbis website: http://www.vorbis.com/setup_windows/

It's possible, although I haven't tested it without the website to try, that this may be what you're looking for to play "ogg directshow" audio in Internet Explorer with Windows Media Player.

Hopefully this will get you where you want to be.

Techextreme
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for that info. I think we're getting closer, but I'm still not there. I uninstalled the K-Lite codecs and installed the Ogg Directshow codecs from the Ogg Vorbis site. I then went looking for any browser-embedded Ogg content, because the site for my part-time job blocks access on dates I am not scheduled to work. I seemed to find a good source of Ogg content at wclv.com, the classical music station in Cleveland, which broadcasts both a 32-bit and 64-bit Ogg stream. Just as in the the Javascript application for my work, it begins to load the embedded Windows Media Player. I get brief messages that it is Connecting and Opening media, but eventually it times out with the error message that Windows Media Player cannot play the file. So just as in the instructions in your link from Ogg Vorbis, I modified the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogg key with Regedit. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. The embedded WMP in IE8 still tells me it is unable to play the file. And I still have no problem playing standalone .OGG files with the standalone WMP. So it appears to me that I have the correct codec, but something happens when I try to play embedded Ogg content with IE8.

Any ideas as to what to try next?

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

Bill, I have made more registry changes, codec installs and removals, settings changes, add-in installs and removals and so on and so forth.

I'm sure my Windows 7 would have liked it much less but it was worth trying to do. The only way I was able to get "streaming ogg" content to work properly was from within Winamp. From within Media Player Classic, it threw an error about an unknown media type and also within Windows Media player I was presented with the error "No combination of filters could be found to render the stream".

My thoughts are that the combination of Windows 7, IE8 and Windows Media Player 12 just don't like the way the .ogg filter is installed and how they are trying to render content.

I'm sorry to say but at this point I have exhausted what my head can wrap together in Windows 7, IE8 and Media Player 12.

If I do find something in the near future, I will make sure I put the details up here for you and anyone else who might need/want this kind of ability in Media Player 12.

"down but not completely out"
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#9 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for all your effort. I knew I was taking on a challenge when I got a new computer and installed Windows 7. And I can go back to the tech support people for my application and tell them I have thoroughly researched the issue. That's far more noble than their blanket parroting of the party line that it's a non-supported environment and therefore can't be done.

I'll also let Microsoft know about this. It's probably too late in the game to get it fixed before Windows 7 is cleared for manufacturing next month, but surely a solution will be available eventually.

Thanks again.

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

Good luck to you Bill! I hope your 'feed back' will help the OEM distributors and MS to take a closer look at your problems with this source code :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users