Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My cooling fan is constantly running

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 madmikey

madmikey

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:11 AM

As the tittle says my fan is always running on my lap top and I'v \e tried to free up disc space and still running all the time??

I have Vista which I know use up alot of space also I do alot of torren DLding.I'm wondering what I should do to keep my PC cool :thumbsup:

Is there something that I'm missing I've scanned for viruses & mall/ad ware & everything is clean this has been going on now for a few months

any help please

mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:24 AM

If the cooling fan is running constantly it could be a heat issue.

Try turning the laptop over and finding the opening to the processor fan. Take a can of air and give it a couple of good blasts. You should see dust come out the side or sides of the laptop depending on how many exits there are.

Then turn your laptop back on and see if it makes any difference.

BTW... what kind of laptop and OS?

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 madmikey

madmikey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:29 AM

laptop is a Dell what's an OS??

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:32 AM

Operating system = OS

What model dell?

Sorry my bad. Just read the "it has vista" part.

Edited by techextreme, 10 June 2009 - 06:33 AM.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 madmikey

madmikey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:34 AM

Inspiron 1720

#6 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

As the tittle says my fan is always running on my lap top and I'v \e tried to free up disc space and still running all the time??

I have Vista which I know use up alot of space also I do alot of torren DLding.I'm wondering what I should do to keep my PC cool :thumbsup:

Is there something that I'm missing I've scanned for viruses & mall/ad ware & everything is clean this has been going on now for a few months

any help please

mike

Have you ever thought that it may be a CPU cooler?

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

As you flip the laptop over you will look at what is the rear right side for the opening. ( Look here for the bottom of your laptop http://www.parts-people.com/images/products/RT014.JPG )
In that opening is your fan. Blow some air through it with a can of air. You should see dust come out the side and rear of the laptop when you do.

This should help with your fan running all of the time.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

Edited by techextreme, 10 June 2009 - 07:16 AM.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 madmikey

madmikey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

any help please

mike

Huh??

Ya I know it's a cooler but it's always running I've had this lap top for a couple years now and this is just a recent problem so much so it bothers me when I'm on the PC

#9 madmikey

madmikey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:21 AM

As you flip the laptop over you will look at what is the rear right side for the opening. ( Look here for the bottom of your laptop http://www.parts-people.com/images/products/RT014.JPG )
In that opening is your fan. Blow some air through it with a can of air. You should see dust come out the side and rear of the laptop when you do.

This should help with your fan running all of the time.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

Thanks I'm gonna try this ....I'm at work right now so I'll keep ya posted when I go for lunch.

I thought It was A HD prob??

#10 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

any help please

mike

Huh??

Ya I know it's a cooler but it's always running I've had this lap top for a couple years now and this is just a recent problem so much so it bothers me when I'm on the PC

/facepalm if you recently installed anything (soft or hardware) it could be doing that.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 731 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

Unfortunately; while blowing the dust out IS what's needed, you don't want to blow into the fan opening, you need to blow through the sides or back where the cooling fins are.

If you look at the sides and back of any laptop (95% of them, anyway), you'll find vent holes that, when you look deeper inside have metal fins visible similar to those on an air conditioner. The fan is sucking air in the bottom of the laptop and blowing it through those fins. To clean the dust out of a laptop, use a can of blowoff and, with the laptop OFF, blow through those fins. The dust bunniies will then be blown out through the fan hole and, if they are significant, you may need to use a toothpick (or something like it) to pluck the larger ones out of the fan hole in the bottom.

Some laptops have two or three cooling fans so check all of them and be thorough.

I once had over three tablespoons of blanket fuz pop out and the girl who owned it confessed to using it for three years in her dorm.

If you want to see the difference, get SIW ( http://majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html ) and look in the sensors section under hardware, before and after you clean it out. SIW will show you the temperatures of several devices in the system, including the CPU.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 madmikey

madmikey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

/facepalm if you recently installed anything (soft or hardware) it could be doing that.

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
Posted Image

#13 madmikey

madmikey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

Seriously tho is there a "Vista useless stuff getter rider off" that I can do or use??

Edited by madmikey, 10 June 2009 - 09:07 AM.

#14 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 731 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

Yes, it is called Programs and Features in the control panel and you should uninstall all of the junk you don't use.

BUT (!!!!) the fan in your laptop is temperature controlled and it is telling you (loudly) that the unit is overheating. Unless you are kicking its butt playing guitar hero or WOW, software won't cause that. Dirt will.

Read my earlier post.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#15 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
Posted Image

Epic win
:cool: :inlove:

Edited by Pandy, 10 June 2009 - 09:40 PM.
Image removed due to innappropriate content and adult language

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users