Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 todamax15

todamax15

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:43 AM

My old computer has been having some booting problems. Here is the situation...

Sometimes, when i turn on my computer, it would freeze during bootup before going into windows or freeze right after I started up onto the windows desktop. Then I would have to restart everytime, but my computer will then do nothing after I hit restart and I'll have to do the force manual shutdown. Sometimes it'll usually take me a handful of tries before I can turn on my computer successfully without it freezing half way. While other times, it'll take me days. This would happen probably 50-70% of the times I turn on my computer.

Also, every time I disconnect the power to my computer and reconnect it again, or turning off the psu and turning it on again, my computer would go right into the BIOS setup copule seconds after turning it on. From there, I'll save/discard my settings and exit the bios setup. But usually after this, my computer would freeze right after exiting BIOS. I'll then have to restart and it would do nothing and I'll have to force manual shutdown the computer same as mentioned above. Then I'll turn on my computer again and it'll again go right into the BIOS setup and the cycle continues. Usually when this happens, it'll usually take me days of trying before my computer will actually not freeze after exiting the BIOS setup and boot right into Windows successfully.

Thus when I'm finally able to successfully turn on my computer, I would leave it on for days to a week fearing I wouldn't be able to turn it on the next time.

Anyone got any idea what is wrong with my computer and suggestions to how to fix this? I was thinking it might be something wrong with my motherboard or my hard drive. But i've done numerous HD diagnoses and disk checks and they'll come back negative. I've tried unplugging and replugging the IDE cables and power plugs and all, but didn't seem to fix the issue. Thanks in advance.

Windows XP Sp3
Asus a7v8x-x mobo
AMD Anthlon 2600
ATI X1600 pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

You should inspect your systemboard for bad capacitors (there is absolutely no excuse for them anymore; but, ASUS still uses them). Take the side off and look near the CPU chip. You will see 10 to 15 almost identical parts that look like little soup cans. If the tops are bulging or you see brown ooze, that is your problem.

If they look good, the next suspect is your keyboard which I say because it pops into setup.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

As suggested, inspect it for bad capacitors
If none are domed/leaking put a new battery on it.
Usually if a unit goes to the bios after it's been unplugged it's because the battery is low or dead.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 10 June 2009 - 11:43 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

IF you leave it unplugged for over 5 minutes.....
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users