Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

struggle to fix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Junkartnamesigns

Junkartnamesigns

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:36 AM

I can't get my head around all this stuff . As a selftaught computer user I struggler , I could blame it on my age but you know what they say about excuses .
My problem is no sound . I've read other peoples posts and try and relate these to my problem and thought I was onto something for a while but when I try to download the new sound driver my security section blocks this ? What am I doing wrong ? I have recently got rid of Norton anti-virus and installed AVG so I could access Limewire . I used to be able to download music from limewire and actually paid money for a Limewire Pro download . I was unable to access this download because my security settings wouldn't allow it . I was advised to get ride of Norton and go AVG . I deleted Norton and any traces of it as well as a couple of games I don`t use anymore . Well the 4000 songs I used to have ( 3000 from CD's not Limewire ) have all gone , all my pictures have gone and I could not download AVG Free because my security settings blocked it . I got AVG via a burnt disk a friend made up for me . I don't want to trouble him again and being fiercely indipendent I am trying to cure my woes and gain some knowledge in the process. What I want is to get my sound back and get Limewire up and running again . Easy for you.........difficult for me !!! Any help would be greatly appriciated . I have already tried changing my security settings but don't understand half of the terminology / options . Thanks for any help , I have more confidence in younger computer wise people than in my own capabilities to solve this . Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:08 AM

You should have kept Norton & dumped Limevirus.

Limewire is probably one of the absolute worse things that can be put on a computer.
In the last several years virtually every computer I have removed viruses from had 1 thing in common, "Limewire" .

Try doing full virus & malware scans.
AVG is good [I'm nit just saying that because it's what I use] .

If you can get Malwarebytes downloaded you might want to install it & do a scan, then fix [remove] what it finds.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...4-10804572.html

Once you do that go to My Computer
Right click the C drive
on the menu click Properties
When the box opens click on the Tools tab
Where it says Error Checking click Check now
When the3 box opens put checkmarks in both boxes under Check disk options
Click Start
You will get a message, "Can't run now, yadda,yadda, next startup
Click Tes or OK
Restart the unit & be patient while it does it's thing
Let it start to the desktop on it's own.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

I have yet to see a computer with Limewire on it that is actually running well.

Clean install of XP and don't touch Limewire again. That is my advice.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users