Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few programs can get online, but most can't

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

Ok, I had a guy ask me to help him with his computer. Its a Compaq Presario C751NR laptop running Vista Home Premium with 2GB of ram. He says he hooked up his ipod and his computer freaked out. He couldn't get online and none of his programs could access the internet either.

At this point, here's what I've found:
- Both IE7 and Firefox 3.0.10 act as if there is no internet connection.
- No program I can find is able to access the internet (Java, MBAM, Avira, and iTunes are some examples)
- Ran "netsh winsock catalog reset" and "netsh int ip reset reset.log" (not even sure if that is something that has to be run with Vista)
- In the network connections windows, it shows it is connected to the Local network and the internet.
- Safari browser works with no issues.
- Windows is still updating automatically because 2 updates just downloaded, one of which was IE8.

- The only installed firewall is the Windows firewall. Turning it off does not help.
- Thinking possible infection, I scanned with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. The only thing it found was this:
Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3aa42713-5c1e-48e2-b432-d8bf420dd31d} (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

- All subsequent scans with Avira, SAS, and MBAM come up clean.

Before coming to me, he had Norton installed but uninstalled it due to an expired subscription but he mentioned that Norton had found a virus before uninstalling it. I found some remnants of Norton still there and got rid of them.

I guess what has me thoroughly confused is why Safari works but Firefox and IE both act like there is no connection, both saying that it cannot display the web page. I used RevoUninstaller to remove Firefox, then used Safari to download and reinstall a fresh version with no effect. In IE - Tools - Internet Options - Connections, the LAN settings are set to automatic, the option to use a proxy server is not checked. I am at a loss as to why one program has no issues getting online while all other programs cannot find the network connection, with the only firewall installed turned off.

Thanks for any help anyone can send my way.

Oh yeah, I found a bit torrent P2P program called Ares that he had installed and it seems to work fine too. As I get deeper into this problem, all I'm giving myself is more questions and no answers!!! AGGRAVATING!!

So, a total of 4 programs that can access the internet and many others that cannot. Safari, Windows update, Ares, and HP software updater can all access the internet. Firefox, IE, Limewire, iTunes, MBAM, SAS, Avira, MSN browser, and none of his IM software can access the internet. Those symptoms all point me at a firewall, but the only firewall installed is the Windows firewall and turning that off doesn't help at all.

I don't think this computer is infected anymore, but I think an infection has caused the problems. Any ideas?

UPDATE:
I've tried many different steps from many different forums and none have worked. All TCP/IP settings are set to automatic, I disabled the IPV6 protocols, I've verified all the IE and Firefox connection settings more than once, I deleted C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/ect/hooks per another forums instructions, but that didn't help.

Edited by possumbarnes, 09 June 2009 - 10:10 PM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

Sorry if I'm repeating what you already might have tried

# Click on the Start button.
# Click on the Settings menu option.
# Click on the Control Panel option.
# When the Control Panel opens, double-click on the Network Connections icon. If your Control Panel is set to Category View, then double-click on Network and Internet Connections and then click on Network Connections at the bottom.
# You will now see a list of available network connections. Locate the connection for your Wireless or Lan adapter and right-click on it.
# You will now see a menu similar to the image below. Simply click on the Repair menu option.

Check your proxy settings

All I can think of at the moment
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

I'm a network tech and I tried everything I could think of plus a lot of stuff I would've never thought of, but none of it worked. Ended up pulling his data off and using System Recovery to do a full blown format and reinstall of Vista. Worked like a charm.

For future readers, this is apparently a Vista issue. I found a TON of forum entries around the internet, all with very similar problem descriptions, and none of them had a solution other than reinstalling the OS. Sorry for the bad news. But, definitely try all the obvious stuff first (TCP/IP and proxy settings and especially firewall settings) before giving up and reinstalling Vista. Just don't spend 3 days on it like I did. :thumbsup:
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users