Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 6 "cant find server" --- any server.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fastflame

fastflame

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

I have two identical Compaq SR1315CL computers running Windows XP. Both computers are connected to a Motorola cable modem through a Linksys Model NR041 four port router with firewall. Lan connections are hardwired. Both computers were working OK until a few days ago when one started giving "can't find server" message in IE 6 (w/sp2 and 128 bit encryption.) When I ping the router LAN IP, I get a return. When I ping the WAN IP, I also successfully get a return. But if I ping a web URL, it can't find the server. All settings on the two machines appear to be the same. Had a previous incident with the problem computer due to the "internet optimizer" hijacker. I seem to have eliminated it with spysweeper. Also had a problem with this computer the end of the first week we had it because it would stop booting up (had to use "restore".

PLEASE, anyone who might have an idea as to what the problem is, or where it is, or, how I might fix it, I and my autistic daughter would be most grateful. I used to be a bit of a computer geek back in the days of DOS, but this windows stuff is beyond me. So much for the prediction that computers would become more simpler to use. If additional info is needed just let me know cause I'm not even sure shat I should provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:52 PM

Have you cleared your Cookies and Temp files, lately?

IE / Tools / Internet Options
Click Delete Cookies / OK
Click Delete Files / put a check in "Delete All Offline Content" / OK

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:54 PM

Hi fastflame, I just happened to see that you had replied to another poster who seems to be having the same problem that you are having.

I was just wondering, have you taken any of the steps that tq1911 laid out for you yet?

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 fastflame

fastflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:39 AM

Yes, I did clear the cookies and the temp files suggested by tg1911, including the offline check box. But that didn't help. I will be downloading the suggested protection software, but won't get it installed probably until tonight. Will have to down load from my work computer. Fortunately, my daughter is at camp this week, so Hope to have her internet working by the time she gets back Friday evening. Unfortuantely, my wife also decided we should paint her room while she's gone, so that wipes out some of my spare time.

I tried ping a few reliable web sites from my son's computer (which is also on the router) and it would say it couldn't find the server, yet his connection is working and I can surf the net from his machine. I do remember vaguely that just before it stoped working, the computer gave me a warning message something about an unidentified module (or something similar) wanting to be installed and requested permission. It gave the recommendation of permitting it, but I clicked no, not being sure what it was and already becoming paranoid about such stuff. Unfortunately, I don't recall the details because I wasn't paying close attention. So I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

#5 fastflame

fastflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:40 AM

OK, heres the latest. Perhaps somewone who understands the DNS stuff can help. My son's computer works fine and I've been able to ping web URLs and get a return with the site numeric IP address. (for some reason it wouldn't do that the other night) If I type these numeric IP adresses into the IE6 address box on my daughter's computer I can get to the web site, but if I type in the URL, it cant find the server. Is there a good source for educating old x-nerds like myself (a.k.a. DOS dinosaurs) on how this IP/DNS stuff is supposed to work or what may be wrong with my daughter's system? Is it a problem with IE6?...with XP?...the registry??? Is there a web site that provides the IP or performs the translation from URL to IP? As best as I can tell, the settings on both machines are the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users