Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are forums like this a good way to help avoid ripoffs?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hello all,

My reasons for posting and for asking a question are few and quite simple, 1) to see if these forums are a good way of disseminating customer information to each other, 2) doing a public service in the process by sharing and inviting like information from others, and 3) uniting to create a better response from companies to customer problems and complaints. My guess is that yes, sharing and expressing these sentiments and telling each other of particular problems with specific companies and products can save others the same or like problems by alerting each other and hopefully deterring others from those problem companies who are only interested in a quick buck, don't care about the customer, and don't back or stand behind their products very well or not at all.

Since I'm starting this thread and since I'm wanting to see if others agree with me that this forum can be helpful in helping each other, I will start with my first example of a case of customer neglect and customer abuse by a company that sells electronics and fails to stand behind their product after the product is but a mere few (8) months old. So, here goes...

To all electronics consumers:

This is a consumer “BEWARE ALERT” about Apex Digital Inc. products. Stay away from them as they are of inferior, very inferior quality and the company does not stand behind them very well, probably for that very same reason, their product's inferior quality of which they are aware and don't accept responsibility for. I purchased an Apex television and before it was even a few months old first the sound on it was going out and becoming very distorted and then it lost the picture completely and then would not even come on at all and hasn't now for over a month. I contacted Apex Digital tech support via the phone number in the manual about a month ago and since then it has been nothing but a series of excuses, run-arounds, delays and general lack of support and lack of accepting responsibility for their product. They come down to expecting the customer/consumer to throw good money after bad, as the saying goes, and expect the customer to pay to ship the item and pay a labor repair fee in advance to repair a television that in my opinion should not be needing any repair of any kind in its short 8 month old life. Why should a customer even be thinking of repair to an item that is only 8 months old and then one has to ask oneself-Is this just one symptom of other failures to come and more money and more repairs? Also, I live in San Antonio, Texas and cannot believe that in all of a city the size of San Antonio-a million plus population-there is not anyone that the company has here to repair or at least examine the tv. Then again I should not be surprised at this if the Apex products are of such poor and inferior quality such that no one wants to carry them and the company itself stands so poorly behind them. The moral of the story: stay away from Apex Digital products as they spell problems and will only give you grief as even the company itself-Apex Digital-does not believe in them or intend to stand behind them.

Please respond to my question about whether sharing this type of information with each other helps us all be better informed and better protected against suffering like fate and be victims to companies that only want to make a quick buck and do not care about customer satisfaction once they've gotten our money. Please share your story, as I'm sure everyone out there has at least one similar story to tell of having been taken advantage of and tell of how you dealt with it and what was the end result; Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

If it is a known "rip off", like some of the bogus anti-virus/anti-spyware that we've seen mentioned here, I'd say it is a good thing.

However, all too often I've seen where many people will get a good product and then one unhappy customer will post their negative experience in a manner that may, actually, turn people away from a perfectly good product or service.

While some Forums may find that acceptable, I'm sure I wouldn't favor it here.

But, maybe that's just me.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

There are forums for just about anything you can think of on the net. I did a Google search on television forums and found many that you can share your T.V. experience, good or bad, on.
With computers though there's so many different configurations out there that could have a negative impact on a program or hardware. What works for one may not work for someone else.
You come to a computer help forum and throw your problem out there to see if anyone else has had the same issue and could be that a software patch, driver or firmware solution will solve it.
As for saying this product or this software is a piece of crap and to stay away from it can lead to flame wars to those who swear by it.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

I think we all gain, by listening to other peoples experiences, with a particular product.
I personally dont take notice, of one or two negative experiences,with a product.
However if many complain,then we should listen.
Many times, a lot of problems are owner contributed,and in fact, there is nothing wrong with the product.
I would never say a Product is crap,and in all fairness to the manufacturer,just post my experiences. :thumbsup:

#5 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

I apply to what you say DSMT when it comes to Window Updates. I never install the updates until I search this forum as well as others for any problems that the flood of updates that come every month may cause. I've had my computer broke several times in the past when trying to patch Windows.
Does this make Windows a rip-off product? :thumbsup:

#6 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

I appreciate all of your replies out there guys and DSTM I very much agree with your sentiment when you say, "I personally dont take notice, of one or two negative experiences,with a product. However if many complain,then we should listen." Of course it does take a start at posting negative experiences to get others started at offering their own and together then you can then get more than afew and to arrive at the many that you speak of listening more seriously to. This is exactly what I was wanting to perhaps get to by offering up my experience and seeing if others have experienced the same or similar in their experience. What can make a bad experience even worse though is the way that a company addresses the issue nand if we can alert someone to avoid this, I'm solidly on the side of warning people even if I am the only one willing to spread the word. Best to you all...

#7 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

JohnWho, you say, "However, all too often I've seen where many people will get a good product and then one unhappy customer will post their negative experience in a manner that may, actually, turn people away from a perfectly good product or service."

While I don't disagree with you on this occurring sometime, I cannot and do not go negative on a company for having a defective productb once in a while, but I do go negative on them when they want to and try to completely distance themselves from their own product or the responsibility for the problem with their product being defective as has happened in this case with Apex Digital. I would not be a tenth as upset with them if they had shown or expressed some sense of apology and regret at the failure of the tv but instead they act as they have no responsibility and more of an "Oh well, your problem, we don't have any obligation to you or the product." This is totally unacceptable and companies that act like this have no business being in business, so the sooner that they have repurcussions and consequences for this attitude, the better for all and the less people that they will have had a chance to burn. I'm certainly not for one thing going to think that I'm the only one that they've taken or will take this attitude with but I do want to try to minimize the number of people they do this to and take advantage of, that's for sure. Best to you...

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

In general, an open forum such as this will give one fair information about a product or program, positive or negative.
We censor little.

One just needs to ask as specific a question as one can.

Edited by KoanYorel, 10 June 2009 - 07:48 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Actually, drpepper55, it may be even worse than that in some cases.

I've seen people rant about a specific model notebook saying it is a piece of garbage and they couldn't get support on it even though they've only had it for 6 months.

This may give people a bad feeling about the support that company gives regarding that notebook.

The problem - the particular model they are ranting about had only been out for about one and a half months, so how could they possibly have had it for six?

Things like that, and we see it a lot here where people talk about how terrible Vista is because it messed up their PC, when the real problem isn't Vista at all - they had a bad HD, or they had a corrupt driver, or something similar, can present poorly based information to many.

Just my opinion - it is good to get reasonable feedback, either positive or negative, on things, but it may often be difficult to recognize that the negative report is ill-founded.

I agree with KY that on this board, in many topics, cooler heads will prevail and correct misdirected rants regarding all things PC related.

Maybe not so well in other areas though.

Dunno.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#10 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

Points well taken JohnWho, but I do have one bit of a different scenario with Apex Digital from what you describe when you say, "The problem - the particular model they are ranting about had only been out for about one and a half months, so how could they possibly have had it for six?

Things like that, and we see it a lot here where people talk about how terrible Vista is because it messed up their PC, when the real problem isn't Vista at all - they had a bad HD, or they had a corrupt driver, or something similar, can present poorly based information to many."

No exaggeration or overblowing the case is necessary to state my case. The simple facts are that when a person buys a new television and pays in the $300.00 range, one is not being unfair or unreasonable to expect the television to last more than 8 months, to not expect to have to have repair required to keep it running, or for one to have to expect to be needing to shell out any additional money for repairs so soon. Also one would expect the company one gives one's business to to at least be sympathetic and a bit apologetic to the customer for problems of any kind so soon on their product. Nothing different here than on any consumer good, be it a television, an automobile, a computer, or anything one purchases and places their faith and trust in. But to have the manufacturer act and attempt to just distance themselves from their product and responsibility for the defects and poor quslity assurance and control is just totally unacceptable and against any good business sense and practice and surely one of the prime rules of 'Business 101' to never take the customer for granted and to never try to act as being disassociated to their product or of the representation of their company by the quality of their product they put out there. Where is their pride, or do they have none for their product as they are displaying to me so far with their actions, or lack thereof? If they do not back their product, then what good are they except as a one-sided transaction where the purchaser is left high and dry the minute they plunk their money down and the manufacturer no longer feels any responsibility or obligation to the buyer for the performance of their product or for the trust and faith the buyer gave in choosing this manufacturer's product. Perhaps this is what is happening and has happened to us in say our American car industry and people have come to distrust the American product and its quality and why it has and is going down the tubes. Lack of pride in the products and lack of support for quality in their procts to where it has all caught up to them and now they are struggling to win back customers and customer's trust? I think so, but then again many of them did make a quick buck at our expense and have moved on leaving others to clean up the ruins. I think sadly all of this is related...

#11 leftoverjared

leftoverjared

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:00 AM

Yes sir I think that this type of site is perfect for helping people avoid getting ripped off. But people shouldnt really have to avoid getting ripped off in the first place imo. Knowledge should be shared not spared to make a profit. People are greedy though, what can we do? :/

::edit::

Oh yeah and sorry but I dont really have any personal stories that can relay to this because the only things I usually ever try to get fixed are usually cheap or free cause I dont really have much money to pay for slavery anyways.

Edited by leftoverjared, 13 June 2009 - 04:08 AM.

#12 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for your reply , leftover, and even though you may not have some help to offer this time, that you agree these forums can be helpful to each otheris welcome support and maybe next time and when you have an experience to share, then you probably will and you can keep someone from getting burned also. With that in mind, I offer the following:

As a follow-up to my previous post I am posting this clip from a very successful resolution to a like consumer ripoff issue that I had with AT&T and it is from that successful effort that I was prompted to share these experiences with others here in hopes of helping others who I'm sure have also had cases where they too have been ripped off and felt powerless in dealings with these companies. I believe that through these forums we can gain valuable ammunition and learn from each other on how to deal with these companies from a stronger position and hopefully avoid putting ourselves at their mercy in the first place. I post this example with my situation with AT&T because as I dealt with them I came to be blown away and schocked to find out just how many people have complaints and have been ripped off by false promises by this behemoth of a company and what is widely considered an American business icon. I would not be at all surprised to find that more than a few of the readers of this forum are also victims of this company, And so here goes from text from one of many complaint boards against AT&T out there on the net...

"I posted my like complaint as all of you have here on this board about 3 weeks ago. I'm happy to report that since then I read about a site called 'the consumerist' that lists email addresses and even phone #s for presidents & CEOs of companies--google for it, it is worth your while as you will see--and found the direct email address for the President of AT&T. I figured I had nothing to lose and so I emailed him about a week and a half ago and told him of my complaint and about the fact of the many complaints like mine on this and on many boards from people taken for a ride by AT & T. I'm now also very happy to report that last week as a result of this email, I got a call from the executive secretary for AT & T's president looking to resolve this matter and intended to resolve it that week. She assigned one of her assistants to it and after a minimal amount of research verified what I was claiming and credited my account for the rebate that I had been promised to me and that I had coming to me and that I had been given the runaround about for over a year. She also apologized for AT & T having dropped the ball on it and for having caused me this problem. (Long story short) My point is that if you skip all these do nothings, promise you the world underlings and go straight to the top that hopefully you too will get what you were promised and what you have been shorted.

I also want to share this method of leading to a successful resolution with all my fellow complainees so here is the email addreses of the AT & T president:

E-mail addresses removed to protect from spam-bots ~ OB

I'd email your complaint to both addresses as I did and I hope you will all have the same successful and prompt results as I did. Good luck to all."

This above is just one example of what can happen if you'll persist and not lay down for companies who feel they can get away with customer neglect and that they'll wear you down,,,not if we will share these stories with each other and we follow through with refusing to take it...best to you all...

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 June 2009 - 01:48 PM.

#13 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

Just thought I'd post a link for 'the consumerist' which is worth a look or at least a visit by everyone as everyone has been burned at least once by a business or manufacturer and if you haven't, believe me, at some time you will be. So hopefully with as much information under your belt as you can get will keep the sting of it from being so bad. Best to all...

http://consumerist.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users