Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CAN'T INSTALL MICROSOFT OFFICE; ERROR 1953

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteWood

WhiteWood

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

I've been trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise Edition on my Vista for days now but I ALWAYS end up getting this error:
Posted Image

I've searched for the answer and they all say go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework then reinstall it. But that doesn't show in my programs.

I was then suggested to download THIS

I tried to install the 64Bit and I got this message:
Posted Image

I went into my 'Turn Windows features on or off' window and it was empty. From my understanding, it's not supposed to be.
So I Googled the problem and the answer I found was in THIS THREAD

Method 1 in the thread didn't work for me. My 'Turn Windows features on or off' window was still empty
Method 2 didn't work either. I got this error message when I tried to System Restore:
Posted Image

I was then told to download THIS

When I tried to download the first link, this is what I got:
Posted Image

Why am I having SOOOO many problems??

Edited by WhiteWood, 09 June 2009 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:14 PM

Did you post this at a different forum? I have answered the same post with the EXACT same attachments lol, but I don't remember where. I thought it was here and the mod with the propeller hat icon answered it as well.........

Try going to windows update to uninstall the .net and then re-install it.

EDIT: You DO have 64 bit Vista right?

Edited by DeathStalker, 09 June 2009 - 11:16 PM.

#3 CompuMechs

CompuMechs

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

.net frequently gets corrupted, especially if there was a recent malware infection. Microsoft offers uninstall tools. One link is here http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...;displaylang=en It is sometimes easier to uninstall all the .nets and then manually reinstall if Windows Updates keeps botching the job.

#4 WhiteWood

WhiteWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:09 AM

Did you post this at a different forum? I have answered the same post with the EXACT same attachments lol, but I don't remember where. I thought it was here and the mod with the propeller hat icon answered it as well.........

Try going to windows update to uninstall the .net and then re-install it.

EDIT: You DO have 64 bit Vista right?

Thank you for responding. How do I tell what bit Vista I have?

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

Click the start button (little round thing at the bottom left hand corner that has the microsoft logo on it) then Control panel. From control panel select System.

When system opens up you will see information on your system. At the top it will say Windows Edition (tells you what version, IE: Ultimate, premium , Basic). Below that section it says:System. There it gives you that useless windows rating, tells you what type processor you have, how much RAM you have and the last line says: System Type. At system type it will either say 32 Bit or 64 bit operating system. Look there and tell me what it says please.

#6 WhiteWood

WhiteWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Click the start button (little round thing at the bottom left hand corner that has the microsoft logo on it) then Control panel. From control panel select System.

When system opens up you will see information on your system. At the top it will say Windows Edition (tells you what version, IE: Ultimate, premium , Basic). Below that section it says:System. There it gives you that useless windows rating, tells you what type processor you have, how much RAM you have and the last line says: System Type. At system type it will either say 32 Bit or 64 bit operating system. Look there and tell me what it says please.

I know how to use a computer... I've been on one 24/7 since I was 15 (I'm 24). I just never had to interact with .NET.
Anywho, my comp is 32 Bit.
.NET Frameware refuses to show itself on my computer anywhere at anytime, what now?

Edited by WhiteWood, 10 June 2009 - 05:24 PM.

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

Click Update. Go to installed updates and see if ANY .Net is there. If so, uninstall it through the update screen. Let me know if you find it or don't find it, and if you find it there are able to uninstall it through the update screen.

EDIT: Don't sweat it if you don't find .NET. You said earlier you didn't think you had it lol. OS I'm just making sure. We'll use the Windows uninstaller tool on your office next if you can't find the .net.

Edited by DeathStalker, 10 June 2009 - 09:45 PM.

#8 WhiteWood

WhiteWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:26 AM

Click Update. Go to installed updates and see if ANY .Net is there. If so, uninstall it through the update screen. Let me know if you find it or don't find it, and if you find it there are able to uninstall it through the update screen.

EDIT: Don't sweat it if you don't find .NET. You said earlier you didn't think you had it lol. OS I'm just making sure. We'll use the Windows uninstaller tool on your office next if you can't find the .net.

Posted Image
In other words, Nope, I don't see it on my computer ANYWHERE

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:27 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy today.

I found something new, well new to me at least. Apparently the .net framework is integrated into Vista and as such it will not show in add/delete programs. (or so I read). The only way it would show is if you had done one of the upgrades to it. It's too late for me to check on my computer as I have upgraded it a couple of times, and those upgrades show in add/delete programs. But...... the original doesn't so it sounds right.

Go to Start>Programs and features. In the left hand pane, at the bottom, you will see "Turn Windows features on or off." Click that and after it populates, see if it show the stupid .Net there.

Crap, I was just re checking some info and saw where you tried to go there and the list wouldn't populate and so you went to the MS solution page for that and IT didn't work either. Ok.......... hmmm.........

You said "I was then suggested to download THIS" with "THIS" being a link. I get a page load error from that link, when I right click "THIS" and hit properties it says: dotnetfx3setup.exe. Is THIS the same place? If so then I found the following info:

"2.6 Installation error when installing .NET Framework 3.0 packages on Vista

Windows Vista comes with .NET Framework 3.0. There is no separate installation package required. The standalone .NET Framework 3.0 packages are not supported on Vista." That came from HERE. Also you should NEVER attempt to install any X64 software on youre computer as you have the 32 bit Vista (which confusingly enough, is referred to as X86).

Alright, let me get some background here. Since you have NO updates at all, is this:

A: A new retail computer that came with Vista (less than a month old).
B: A computer that you built and did a clean install of Vista on.
C: An old computer that you put Vista on recently (less than a month).
D: A computer (new or old doesn't matter) that Vista has been on a while but you never did any updates.

Has Sp1 been installed? Versions of Vista for about the last 14 months or so come with SP1 so you wouldn't see it in the updates. If you don't know, you can check by doing the Start>Control Panel>System thing. It will show "Service Package 1" as the last entry in the "Windows Edition" which is the first sub heading at the top of the page. If there is no SP1, then the first thing to do is to install Service Package 1. Vista ran poorly before SP1 so it is imperative that you install it.

Do the following as it aplies to your condition:

A: Have you activated Windows? If you haven't then do so. You will find the activation code on a sticker, usually on the back of the computer but in any account, somewhere on the case. The activation Link is in the Start>Control Panel> System window at the bottom of the page. If you've done it, it will say: "Windows is Activated Product ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX" After activating (if it's not activated), UPDATE YOUR WINDOWS.

B: Same as above, except that the activation code is in the packaging. For the retail version it's on the tape you had to take off to open the case, on the OEM version, it's on a label in the package they say to put on the computer. (I never did lol).

C: Did you use the upgrade version (upgrading to Vista from a lower version of Windows) or did you do a re-format/Clean install.

D: Update your damn computer lol.

I would suggest installing SP2 and then seeing if there are any other updates. SP2 includes all the updates from the time SP1 was released up until the time SP2 came out.

Oh, I almost forgot. If your Office 2007 did not install, then why were you trying to install SP1 for it? Also, since you got the message that it is (Office SP1) already installed, are you seeing the Office in your add/remove programs?

Edited by DeathStalker, 11 June 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#10 WhiteWood

WhiteWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:35 PM

Turn Windows features on or off." Click that and after it populates, see if it show the stupid .Net there.

Nope, as mentioned in my first post, I got this message:
Posted Image

You said "I was then suggested to download THIS" with "THIS" being a link. I get a page load error from that link, when I right click "THIS" and hit properties it says: dotnetfx3setup.exe. Is THIS the same place?

Yeah, Instead of linking the page that I down loaded it from, I linked the actual file, sorry about that. I don't remember the page that I got that from.

A: A new retail computer that came with Vista (less than a month old).
B: A computer that you built and did a clean install of Vista on.
C: An old computer that you put Vista on recently (less than a month).
D: A computer (new or old doesn't matter) that Vista has been on a while but you never did any updates.

A.Got it brand new on Christmas, but the admin was set by OfficeMax and don't have the rights to do ANYTHING on my computer, 'OfficeMax' does. I hate it SOOOO much and don't know how to gain admin rights.
B. No.
C. No.
D. I guess you can answer that based off of my answer on A.

Has Sp1 been installed?

Here's all the info on my comp:
Posted Image

C: Did you use the upgrade version (upgrading to Vista from a lower version of Windows) or did you do a re-format/Clean install.
D: Update your damn computer lol.

C. I don't know.
D. How?

Edited by WhiteWood, 11 June 2009 - 11:38 PM.

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

I believed you when you said it wouldn't populate , I saw that after I had written that other stuff and just didn't delete it lol.

To Update: Click Start> All Programs> (right click and select run as administrator) Windows Update. In the left pane there is "check for updates" and below that is "change settings." It gives you four options:

Update automatically
Download Updates but let me choose how to install them
Check for updates but let me decide whether to download or install them
Never check for updates.

Place a check by one of the first three options. I use "Check for updates but let me decide whether to download or install them" (3rd option).

Make sure you put a check in both boxes below those options:

Include recommended updates............
Use Microsoft Update................

For now though, let's hook you up with SP2, it has all the upgrades for Vista x86 until like May 25th I think.

First download the System Update Readiness Tool. You should be able to hit run for this instead of save. If it gives you an message that you can't run it or don't need it, then don't worry, you are ok, you don't need it. I don't remember the exact message for that.

When it is finished, reboot your computer and then download and SAVE Vista SP2. Just hit the button that says download. It will take a while. If you look at that page, it says 1 hour 2 minutes for 786K DSL/Cable. When it first was released, some folks said it took them a couple of hours. I got it either the same day or the next and it took me 20 minutes and then 20 or 30 minutes to to install. Maybe 40, I forget lol and I did it on 4 computers so you would think I would remember. (You'd also think I would have been smart enough to download the ISO and burn it to disc.......) I do know that it took less time to run it rather than save it, but I suggest you save it in case there is any problem installing it, then you don't have to download it again. Note: This IS the x86 version that applies to your OS.

After it is downloaded, turn off all spyware detection programs and Anti virus stuff. If you use a third party firewall, turn it off too. Right click the file and select "run as administrator." If the program asks to reboot automatically as needed click yes. Stay by your computer as you will need to hit yes to all the stupid UAC messages and it also asks you a couple of questions. Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) is included in this update. Click yes for it as well. I think it is one of the last things to install. Be patient, and don't stop it once it starts. Now if it takes more than a couple of hours to install, (not download), then you probably have a problem lol.
After it is finished installing and rebooting, (I think it reboots more than once but don't remember), click Start>All programs> Update. In the left pane the top option is "Check for Updates." Click it and check for updates. Install all that are there. They will include Office 2007 updates if it detects Office 2007 on your computer. If they "fail" to install, don't worry about it, we'll get those once we get your Office 2007 working.

Sometimes, one update is dependent upon another, as such, when you finish, check again until it says: There are no new updates at this time or if there are only failed office updates.

Here are some well written tutorials on user accounts, how to turn off that annoying UAC, and how to gain full admin control of your computer.

First here is a list of the User Account Tutorials that are on that site. They have a ton of other tutorials about other Vista features and subjects, you can find them from this link.

Next, Rename the Admin Account. This is the built in "admin account" that you see in the user accounts list, but it isn't the "real" admin account.

How to enable or disable the REAL admin account in Vista. Be VERY careful with this one and heed all the warnings. You really should never have to use this one. I never have.

Turn the annoying UAC on or off. Just what it says lol. You may want to do this one before you start your updates. It makes life easier........... but you then have to be more careful about what you download and what sites you visit. We can deal with security later if you are interested in that.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or problems, post back and let me know.

Edited by DeathStalker, 12 June 2009 - 02:33 AM.

#12 WhiteWood

WhiteWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:01 AM

Wow, The amount that you are helping me with is astonishing to me right now. Almost every problem I have in my life is connected to the UAC somehow, from me missing an appointment because my iPod can't sync to my calendar because I can't install outlook because I'm not an admin, down to not being able to fight virusus that attack specifically my DVD burner so that I can't get that client his DVD on time and lose his business forever. You are helping my life, not just my comp man, thanx! I'll be back to you AS SOON as I do all of that.

#13 WhiteWood

WhiteWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:25 AM

Whelp, this is what I got after trying to update my comp:
Posted Image

And this is what I got after trying to install SP2:
Posted Image
Clicking "Go Online To Learn More About This Issue" took me HERE

:huh:

Edited by WhiteWood, 12 June 2009 - 04:39 AM.

#14 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:53 AM

It sounds like you could be having a permissions issue in writing to the registry causing installation and uninstallation problems. As long as you are logged in as an administrator you can follow the instructions here and reset Vista's permissions to their defaults. The easiest method would be to run the "Fix It For Me" tool on that page. After it runs, reboot then see how things are working.

edit: Also, for the .NET issues you should have a look at this page for some troubleshooting tips, but only if the permissions fix doesn't correct the problem as I doubt this issue is isolated to the .NET Framework.

Edited by exile360, 12 June 2009 - 04:56 AM.

#15 WhiteWood

WhiteWood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

It sounds like you could be having a permissions issue in writing to the registry causing installation and uninstallation problems. As long as you are logged in as an administrator you can follow the instructions here and reset Vista's permissions to their defaults. The easiest method would be to run the "Fix It For Me" tool on that page. After it runs, reboot then see how things are working.

edit: Also, for the .NET issues you should have a look at this page for some troubleshooting tips, but only if the permissions fix doesn't correct the problem as I doubt this issue is isolated to the .NET Framework.

Thank You. I downloaded the 'fix it for me' and ran it, but this is what I got:
Posted Image

I tried to manually remove it by following these steps:
"1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. In Windows Vista, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose"

And I got this:
Posted Image

This is how the computer has been towards EVERYTHING since I got it. I almost want to sue Microsoft.

EDIT:
I decided to scan my comp for viruses using three virus scanners simultaneously and this popped up out of nowhere. No idea what it means, but the first reference to .NET that I've ever seen on my comp:
Posted Image

Edited by WhiteWood, 12 June 2009 - 12:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users