Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Pleasures of installing Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

:huh:

The Pleasures of Installing Vista

One must be made aware that if one is upgrading (?) to Vista from XP
there will be problems and expenses involved.
Not the least being that you will need to acquire the following replacement hardware. Printer, Scanner, Camera and any other item which requires a Vista
drivers, which is not available.
In many instances the manufacturers of such items have seen the arrival of Vista as an opportunity to sell replacement equipment and have therefore not made updated drivers available.
There is also the matter of ‘Software’ once again, the arrival of Vista has provided a ‘Bonanza’ for the producers, who have responded by either not providing upgrades for the new system at all, or have produced new versions at considerable cost. This applies to the majority of software producers.
All this in my opinion could have been avoided by Microsoft having included into Vista a compatibility program which enabled those items with XP drivers to be accepted by Vista. This might well have not been popular with the producers and manufacturers who stand to profit by the problems faced by people who are attempting to convert from XP to Vista.
There is a suggestion that there is a further operating system in the pipe line (Windows 7) if this is in fact the case, can we expect a repeat of the entire driver problem.
One is inclined to regard people who stay with an old system when a later system is brought out, as ‘Luddites’ this is hardly a fair assessment as one could well refer to the old saying that ‘If it isn’t bust ,don’t fix it’ .
The above is a statement of my opinion and my experiences in attempting to set up a replacement computer, as my original using XP is nearing the end of its reliable life. I am sorely tempted to remove the hard drive from my original computer and to fit it to the new computer. This I believe would save me all the above problems and expense.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Folken

Folken

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'm not going to tackle the oft repeated "Vista is bad" argument. Let's just say I use it and love it, most of my clients who use it also love it. Be forewarned however that simply swapping your HDD from one PC to another will result in driver errors and highly likely will not operate properly without extensive work on your part

#3 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

I'm not going to tackle the oft repeated "Vista is bad" argument. Let's just say I use it and love it, most of my clients who use it also love it. Be forewarned however that simply swapping your HDD from one PC to another will result in driver errors and highly likely will not operate properly without extensive work on your part

Dear Chap, I am bound to wonder if infact you upgraded from an XP systen with all it's hardware and software, or whether
you were fortunat enough to make a clean start on Vista. If in fact you did you would not have come into contact with the problems I outline.
Alternatly if you did upgrade from XP Please tell me how you overcame the problems that I experienced as I would be most interested.
Dennis

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:30 AM

Hi Dennis, this will go on forever the driver issue when new software is released....so who do you blame MS or the Manufactures??? The problem here is that at somepoint you either upgrade your hardware or leave it and run XP. I had the same problem with 95 to 98 some hardware would not work at all.
You have updated your hardware but as you say some of your components are not Vista compatible so why not install a fresh copy of XP? I would find it strange a camera does not work in Vista, I have tried some really old digital camera's without a problem but web cams and printers are a different story. I gather you had checked the Manufactures web sites for new drivers? If none are availible then it may be time for an upgrade.
But if you don't want to upgrade then install XP.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:19 AM

I did a fresh install of Vista, took roughly 15 minutes. While installing XP on same computer takes around 30 minutes.
I have used Vista exclusively, no glitches till now. I am happy with it. The only time I yelled at my PC was when installing SP1 and SP2 which took like 40 minutes to finish for each.

#6 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

I personally hate Vista, as every time i have used it i have found yet another problem with it and i never had that much trouble with WinXP, i have found XP to be a very reliable and fast system, even on low power machines and whilst it takes a while to install, it only asks a few questions and you just have to let it get on with it the rest of the time. the windows 7 RC looks quite good though...

Edited by frank_cheese, 05 July 2009 - 12:54 PM.

Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

Gosh Dennis. I'm sorry you had so many problems, but I believe you at least pointed the "blame finger" at the correct people: the HARDWARE and 3rd PARTY SOFTWARE MANUFACTURERS, not at Microsoft.

Some companies, such as Creative Labs refused to write drivers for Vista so they COULD sell you the same old stuff repackaged, renamed, but with drivers that work with Vista. Heck, Creative went as far as to deliberately cripple their sound cards so they wouldn't work in Vista. Writing drivers couldn't be that hard as a former loyal member of their own forums (Creatives), Daniel Kawakami, not only wrote drivers that allowed Creative Products to work in Vista and offered them on the Creative forums, but did it so well that Creative threatened him with legal action. LOL one of their VP's even stated that if Creative chose to ensure that their products did not work in vista so consumers had to buy new products then Daniel had no right to circumvent their dishonorable practice. But I'm getting off topic slightly here........

While some manufacturers knowingly used Vista as a vehicle to force consumers to buy new products, most did not. Sure, there were some that did not write Vista drivers for products that were so old they thought it unlikely that they were still in use, but that can be excused. Take printers. The direction the market has taken, the actual printer often costs less than the ink cartridges. It is more economically feasable to throw the printer away and buy a new one that comes with 2 ink cartridges than to buy the ink by itself in many cases. It is also reasonable for a company to assume that someone using a ten year old product is unlikely to be switching to Vista anyways lol so why spend the labor cost developing drivers for such a product.

I cannot relate to your situation as I switched to Vista because I was building a new computer and so I had all new hardware. Well except for my printer............ It (fortunately? lol) was not Vista compatible and they were not writing drivers for it. It definitely is one of those cheap printers I mentioned above lol. No problems though, I kept it connect to my old XP machine and set up a network. Yeah, I know, you didn't have that option since you upgraded. Regardless, the only complaint I have about Vista is that now that Win7 is not only around the corner, but also peaking in the front door window, I think it (Vista) will be shortly orphaned, which puts me in a bit of a quandary........

I have always heard that upgrading an OS to the newer version is an almost certain way to ensure you have problems, whether it was from WIn3.1 to Win 95, Win95 to Win98, Win98 to Xp, XP to Vista ect......... So do I use Vista until it IS officially orphaned, upgrade to WIn7 which I think is risky, or bite the bullet and do a clean install? Oh well. i have time to decide.

Again I'm sorry you had so many problems. i hope that as you get used to the differences that begin to see the advantages of Vista and come to like it. Keep your mind open and your chin up lol.

Edited by DeathStalker, 05 July 2009 - 02:14 PM.

#8 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

Gosh Dennis. I'm sorry you had so many problems, but I believe you at least pointed the "blame finger" at the correct people: the HARDWARE and 3rd PARTY SOFTWARE MANUFACTURERS, not at Microsoft.

Some companies, such as Creative Labs refused to write drivers for Vista so they COULD sell you the same old stuff repackaged, renamed, but with drivers that work with Vista. Heck, Creative went as far as to deliberately cripple their sound cards so they wouldn't work in Vista. Writing drivers couldn't be that hard as a former loyal member of their own forums (Creatives), Daniel Kawakami, not only wrote drivers that allowed Creative Products to work in Vista and offered them on the Creative forums, but did it so well that Creative threatened him with legal action. LOL one of their VP's even stated that if Creative chose to ensure that their products did not work in vista so consumers had to buy new products then Daniel had no right to circumvent their dishonorable practice. But I'm getting off topic slightly here........

While some manufacturers knowingly used Vista as a vehicle to force consumers to buy new products, most did not. Sure, there were some that did not write Vista drivers for products that were so old they thought it unlikely that they were still in use, but that can be excused. Take printers. The direction the market has taken, the actual printer often costs less than the ink cartridges. It is more economically feasable to throw the printer away and buy a new one that comes with 2 ink cartridges than to buy the ink by itself in many cases. It is also reasonable for a company to assume that someone using a ten year old product is unlikely to be switching to Vista anyways lol so why spend the labor cost developing drivers for such a product.

I cannot relate to your situation as I switched to Vista because I was building a new computer and so I had all new hardware. Well except for my printer............ It (fortunately? lol) was not Vista compatible and they were not writing drivers for it. It definitely is one of those cheap printers I mentioned above lol. No problems though, I kept it connect to my old XP machine and set up a network. Yeah, I know, you didn't have that option since you upgraded. Regardless, the only complaint I have about Vista is that now that Win7 is not only around the corner, but also peaking in the front door window, I think it (Vista) will be shortly orphaned, which puts me in a bit of a quandary........

I have always heard that upgrading an OS to the newer version is an almost certain way to ensure you have problems, whether it was from WIn3.1 to Win 95, Win95 to Win98, Win98 to Xp, XP to Vista ect......... So do I use Vista until it IS officially orphaned, upgrade to WIn7 which I think is risky, or bite the bullet and do a clean install? Oh well. i have time to decide.

Again I'm sorry you had so many problems. i hope that as you get used to the differences that begin to see the advantages of Vista and come to like it. Keep your mind open and your chin up lol.

'DeathStalker'
Thank you for your comments, really to the point and much appreciated.
Dennis.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

I am sorely tempted to remove the hard drive from my original computer and to fit it to the new computer. This I believe would save me all the above problems and expense.

Wanna bet??
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Dennis Leefarr

Dennis Leefarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:12 AM

I am sorely tempted to remove the hard drive from my original computer and to fit it to the new computer. This I believe would save me all the above problems and expense.

Wanna bet??

Sorry to say that your input dosn't seem to add much to the discussion.
Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users