Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Notebook w/ Linux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 debtboy

debtboy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Just saw this on cnet news...
Dell Notebook $299
See what happens when the price of Windows isn't preloaded into the cost. :blink:
The Owls are not what they seem...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

I don't have any laptops...but my take on that is...this is Dell's way of getting rid of Celeron processors and notebooks... which they otherwise could not unload on any user buying a system for current (Vista/Windows 7 RC1) and future O/Ses. Note the suggestion for those who might consider running W7 RC1.

But...I've been wrong before.

Louis

#3 debtboy

debtboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

I don't have any laptops...but my take on that is...this is Dell's way of getting rid of Celeron processors and notebooks... which they otherwise could not unload on any user buying a system for current (Vista/Windows 7 RC1) and future O/Ses. Note the suggestion for those who might consider running W7 RC1.

But...I've been wrong before.

Louis

May be true, but I doubt it.

I went over to the Dell site and like any other Dell,
they let you select different components.
With the same exact configuration, I upgraded to a
2 gig Core Duo T6400 for only an additional $85.

Ironically, I'm almost sure the Celeron running Ubuntu :wacko:
would out perform the Core Duo T6400 running W7.
With another 2 gigs of ram, I'm not so sure. :blink:

Just my opinion, and no animals were hurt in the making of it.
The Owls are not what they seem...

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

Dell has offered Ubuntu off & on for awhile.
MS usually "convinces" Dell to quit offering Ubuntu .

If you have never used Ubuntu it pretty decent.
Unlike Windows it comes with Open Office already installed, no "COA" or any of the other BS from MS.
The biggest problem with Ubuntu is it simply ISN'T Windows & people tend to have a hard time getting used to it.
Most people avoided Linux because you had to know the code [terminal commands] to install everything, sort of like Knowning DOS for Windows.
Ubuntu has a very good "pachage3 installer , or "Repository" which is pretty easy to use.
It shows what is available in the way of programs & lets you install what you want.

If you install "WINE" you can run Windows games & apps also.

I have a "dedicated" Ubuntu unit .
I switch back & forth between it & one of my Windows units.

I just upgraded the Ubuntu unit to "Jaunty Jackalope" .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users