Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good internet connection, but some sites load very slowly (or not at all!)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 manchuwok

manchuwok

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hey all,

I found this forum doing a Google search for some computer help - I'm hoping someone here might have some ideas regarding a problem I've encountered.

Over the last couple of days, I've noticed that certain web pages are loading very slowly on my desktop, or not at all. Some pages work great, while others won't even show up at all until I refresh them several times. I've tried to notice a pattern, and it's possible that secure page (https) and/or pages with forms are giving my computer the most trouble, but I can't be positive. Some more details:

This phenomenon is occurring in both Firefox 3.0.10 and IE 7.

My computer is running XP and I connect through a wireless router. I use McAfee SecurityCenter.

I have made two changes to my home setup recently...

1. I moved my router from the floor to the top of a bookshelf, which has greatly increased my supposed connection speed to about 50Mbps.

2. I set up a wireless printer on my network.

That's really all I can think of to say about the issue at the moment. Do these clues help illuminate what might be going on? :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for any help!

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

If you haven't already done so...you might try dumping your browser caches, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=d...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

#3 manchuwok

manchuwok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

Louis, thanks for the tip - cleared out the caches in both Firefox and IE, and then browsed around the Web for a bit. Unfortunately, clearing the caches didn't seem to make a difference. I just had to refresh my Yahoo! mail several times before it would even show my inbox. It's weird, because it won't load at all the first time or two, and then all of a sudden, one of the times I hit refresh, it loads instantly.

Any ideas?

#4 manchuwok

manchuwok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Some updates and clarification:

I may have misspoken when I said the problem was with secure sites. It seems to be totally random as to which sites have problems. This morning I could not load worldmarket.com until finding a Google listing for a specific subpage of that site (in this case, their Rugs page.) I could load their Rugs page quickly, but not the home page. This is a regular http page, not https. I have never been to worldmarket.com before, so I don't think this is a cache issue.

I visited a site called merchantcircle.com with no problem, but when I tried to access the Login page, no dice. For the past 5 minutes, my Firefox browser window has been blank and the bottom bar says "Read www.merchantcircle.com". This login page actually is https.

For a third example, I could not even load this forum page at first - it took 2 or 3 tries before it would come up. And of course, this is not https.

So I really don't know what the pattern here is. This is very confusing and frustrating...

Edited by manchuwok, 10 June 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:08 AM

The first thing I thought of was browser add-ons, but you seem to have the problem with both IE and Firefox...

Anywho, you can run IE without add ons from Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and then see how that works. That would maybe rule out that possibility. I just tried this and actually kind of like it the performance improvement for the few times I am forced to use IE...

With Firefox, you can disable (not uninstall) all your add-ons or individually (Tools, Add-ons) and see how it works. Disable them all, see how it works and then and start reenabling them one by one and maybe find the culprit. At least that might give you an unencumbered browser to try. You should probably restart Firefox to be sure they are disabled.

I don't have your problem and your examples give me no problem...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

With two different browsers impacted...it might be time to shift focus...to your Internet connection.

Louis

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Turn off the "Phishing Filter" on IR7
Open IE
At the top click Tools
On the menu select Internet Properties
When the box opens click the Advanced tab
Scroll down to Security
Put a dot in the circle by Disable Phishing Filter
Click Apply
Click OK
Close IR & reopen it
Try some websites.

The "Phishing Filter" is one of the worse "features" ever put in IE
All it's good for is causing problems.
Common sense is the best "Phishing Filter" in the world !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 manchuwok

manchuwok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

I am still having the problem with loading sites, despite having a sustained wireless connection rated at 54 Mbps. Both Firefox 3.0.11 and IE8 are affected currently. I ran both CCleaner and SDFix to try and clear out any hidden malware operating behind the scenes, but this was to no avail. CCleaner did seem to speed up my Internet a little bit on the sites that work...but did nothing for the fact that some sites simply will not load.

Here are some examples of my problem that may clarify what's going on...

- Google.com will load, but if I sign in to iGoogle, then the page will not ever load.

- Facebook's sign-on page will load, but when I sign in, I basically see the Facebook border frame with no content inside.

The same exact thing happens in both IE and Firefox.

Any ideas on what I could do??

Thank you for all the help!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

Consider hardware as a contributor.

You do not have a good Internet connection...you need to start over from the beginning and set the connection up, IMO.

You haven't tried a wired connection yet, have you?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2009 - 03:06 PM.

#10 manchuwok

manchuwok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

Louis,

Thanks for the suggestion. Here's what I have done this evening...

I disabled my wireless connection and plugged my computer into the first port on the router. Result: iGoogle and Facebook load normally. I was going to try plugging straight into the modem next, but since this seemed to work, I figured it confirmed that the wireless connection to the router is to blame.

Which means that either the router's wireless capabilities OR my USB wireless adapter is to blame. I figured point the finger at the wireless adapter. I have the NetGear WG111, which is pretty old, but I was able to find a software revision for it on the Netgear website. I downloaded and installed the software. Result: I have a new utility running in my system tray, and... iGoogle and Facebook load normally!

So, the initial returns are good. Of course, I will have to monitor this for a few days to see if the improvement sustains. But for now atleast, thank you very much for your help!

Ben

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:23 AM

Well done :thumbsup:, keep an eye on it.

Louis

#12 BAGboyy

BAGboyy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

Howdy folks:

I had the same problem of some web pages not loading, which caused IE7 to lock up, and I had to use right click - close route to get it closed.

Here is what happened:

My internet connection kept dropping out starting last Sunday (July 19 - using AT&T DSL). On Monday, I called their support center and after they had me try several things (restarting everything in a certain order, removing my router from the scenario, etc.), they determined that it was probably a problem in the line. The problem was escalated to their technicians who came out, found a bad wire in the outside box, fixed it, and now my internet connection is fine.

However, I could not load some pages. I tried everything I could think of before coming back here to Bleeping and you fine folks.

After reading the replies it just dawned on me - I didn't put the router back into the loop. The DSL modem was wired directly to the computer. After I changed the connections, rebooted everything, presto - I could access all of the previous problem web sites!!

A big thanx to everyone here - even though you may not have known it - you made my day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users