Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows desktop doesnt load at start up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hicktrouble

hicktrouble

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

The computer is an HP Pavilion 724C with Windows xp Home edition, and McAfee Security (from Comcast).
When I start the PC, Windows starts as usual and gets to the choose User screen okay, but after the welcome screen (loading your Personal settings), the desktop background appears but no Icons or Start button or taskbar.

I'm unsure of what I did to cause this problem and I'm not very savvy on computers but you folks helped me out a while ago with a spyware problem, so I thought I'd try again before I give up and call HP or Microsoft.

Any and all help will be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

It's posssible that you could have a corrupt user profile.
Try this:
Boot into safe mode OR if you have more than one user account, try another desktop.
Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories.
System Tools/System Restore.
Choose a restore point just prior to when the issue began.

Your system will reboot, only after rebooting and getting on a desktop will you find out if the restore is successful.

#3 hicktrouble

hicktrouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for your sugggestion but, I have tried all three user accounts with the same results, The desktop background appears, but no taskbar or Icons. also when I try to boot into safe mode Iget to the choose user screen , and no matter which account I choose the safe mode background (safe mode in the corners) appears with only the following accross the top line of the black screen.
Microsoft® Windows® (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234: Pack 3).

I also tried to select the "Last known good configuration" option with the same results. (Desktop background -no taskbar)

Sorry I took so long to respond but I'm using a borrowed Laptop to t ry to resolve my PC problem.

Thanks!

#4 hicktrouble

hicktrouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

I booted in safe mode and ran a system restore back to May 24 when I thought the system was ok. Have been able to use the PC since then but, I'm not sure things are good. I reinstalled McAffe Security suite provided by Comcast, I tried to install IE8 without success, Ran Spybot S&D and fixed 27 errors, restarted and reran Spybot S&D and got no Immediate threats found, Ran Adaware smartscan and deleted 3 cookies, Ran MBAM - No items detected.

Windows seems to be working okay but I'm not convinced every thing is right.. If I can identify any problems I will open a new Topic in the correct forum and try to get this PC clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users