Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Slowing Down Over Time Online

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 2-Cups

2-Cups

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

What could cause the computer to slow down after a certain length of time veiwing online sites, usuing different utilities, or any number of normal usuage of the computer.

Sony Vaio laptop
Total size 69.0 GB
Free space 53.7 GB

When I start the computer it works fine (using DSL 3mb), and really don't have a lot of extra programs added to what came with the PC (other than AVG free version, SUPERANTISpyware, MalwareBytes, and System Mechanic 8). It works fine for a while surfing the internet, but after visiting several favorite sites (nothing fancy), it seems to slow to a crawl. Trying to shut the system down (or reboot) the scareen acts like it slowly rolls down the monitor screen, and takes quite a while to completely restart.

I run the scans on it several times a week to keep the PC clean of any virus, and usually run System Mechanic on it about once every two weeks to clean up the uneeded cookies & stuff. I usually run PC Total Care, and let the program do its thing on cleanup. It does however, always seem to find 1 problem analyzing the system, and that is "Memory low" (usually about 43%).

Could it be lacking on hardrive, processor speed, or something else?

I usually have to reboot this thing after an hour or so of surfing, and then it will work fine for another hour or so.

Scans show no problems other than a few cookies (not much of them).

Thanks in advance...........Have a great day :thumbsup:
2-Cups

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew Bailey

Andrew Bailey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

What could cause the computer to slow down after a certain length of time veiwing online sites, usuing different utilities, or any number of normal usuage of the computer.

Sony Vaio laptop
Total size 69.0 GB
Free space 53.7 GB

When I start the computer it works fine (using DSL 3mb), and really don't have a lot of extra programs added to what came with the PC (other than AVG free version, SUPERANTISpyware, MalwareBytes, and System Mechanic 8). It works fine for a while surfing the internet, but after visiting several favorite sites (nothing fancy), it seems to slow to a crawl. Trying to shut the system down (or reboot) the scareen acts like it slowly rolls down the monitor screen, and takes quite a while to completely restart.

I run the scans on it several times a week to keep the PC clean of any virus, and usually run System Mechanic on it about once every two weeks to clean up the uneeded cookies & stuff. I usually run PC Total Care, and let the program do its thing on cleanup. It does however, always seem to find 1 problem analyzing the system, and that is "Memory low" (usually about 43%).

Could it be lacking on hardrive, processor speed, or something else?

I usually have to reboot this thing after an hour or so of surfing, and then it will work fine for another hour or so.

Scans show no problems other than a few cookies (not much of them).

Thanks in advance...........Have a great day :thumbsup:
2-Cups

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

"AVG free version, SUPERANTISpyware, MalwareBytes, and System Mechanic 8. "

If you have all of that installed & running using the default settings it's a wonder you can do anything online.
With a few programs sdcanning for stuff it's a wonder a page loads !

AVG has a "link scanner" that gets installed unless you do a Custom install.
[I never install the link scanner or additional languages]

SUPERANTISpyware has "Real-Time Blocking of threats! Prevent potentially harmful software from installing or re-installing! "
That means it scans every page .

MalwareBytes "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they even start"
Translation, It always running & constantly checking everything

System Mechanic 8 "The ActiveCare technology allows System Mechanic 8 to do all the work and fix issues as they arise."
Translation, It always running & constantly checking everything

You can over do anything !

Right click the taskbar in the middle where there are no icons
On the menu click Task Manager
Click the Pyocesses tab
Locate SUPERANTISpyware, MalwareBytes, and System Mechanic 8.
One at a time click End Process & stop them
Try it without those 3 programs fighting each other to try & scan every page.
[You'll still have the AVG link scanner running]

Not only do those programs slow down page loading while they check everything but they use up system resources. [CPU usage/memory/etc.]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:25 PM

Right click the taskbar in the middle where there are no icons
On the menu click Task Manager
Click the Pyocesses tab
Locate SUPERANTISpyware, MalwareBytes, and System Mechanic 8.
One at a time click End Process & stop them
Try it without those 3 programs fighting each other to try & scan every page.
[You'll still have the AVG link scanner running]

Not only do those programs slow down page loading while they check everything but they use up system resources. [CPU usage/memory/etc.]

I brought up the task manager, but it dosent list those programs (where I can recognize them anyway) to end the process. I did see one that appeared to be System Mechanic listed and ended that process, but I can't find a way to "undo" that, so I hope i was the System Mechanic program.

I'll see if I can' run down something to help me identify what all these processes are, before I end any more of them.

Thanks for the reply..........(i'll repost the final outcome soon)
2-Cups

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

Unless you change the settings any program you stop in the Task Manager will automatically restart when the computer is restarted or you launch it manually from Start>Programs.

I think Malwarebytes is mbam.exe in the Task Manager.

I don't know about the others as I don't use them.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

How much RAM is installed?

Is XP managing virtual memory?

A "memory low" warning...should have been a clue, IMO. Sometimes Windows is very straightforward.

Louis

#7 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

How much RAM is installed?

Is XP managing virtual memory?

A "memory low" warning...should have been a clue, IMO. Sometimes Windows is very straightforward.

Louis

:thumbsup: <------------------------Complete puter idiot here!

I am running Windows XP, but I don't know how to determine if XP is managing virtual memory.

I'm not quite sure how to look up how much RAM I have either...(remember something about 1024 when I bought the PC about 2 1/2 years ago).

2-Cups (both empty)

Edited by 2-Cups, 09 June 2009 - 06:45 PM.

#8 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

How much RAM do I have?

1.60 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

C: Local Disk

NTFS

Capacity: 69.0 GB

Used Space: 15.2 GB
Free Space: 53.7 GB

Edited by 2-Cups, 10 June 2009 - 01:35 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

Thanks...the amount of RAM is OK.

Where do I set the placing and size of the page file?

At Control Panel | System | Advanced, click Settings in the “Performance” Section. On the Advanced page of the result, the current total physical size of all page files that may be in existence is shown. Click Change to make settings for the Virtual memory operation. Here you can select any drive partition and set either Custom; System Managed or No page file; then always click Set before going on to the next partition.

Another way: Start/right-click on My Computer, select Properties. On the Advanced tab...the first button (under Performance) should be pushed. Click the Advanced tab. Last section is Virtual Memory, click Change. Near the middle of that tab is "System managed size", put dot in that one...push the Set button.

Click OK until all windows close.

If you want to identify processes in Task Manager...I find Google works best. Just type whatever is listed and do a search.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#10 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

[quote name='hamluis' date='Jun 10 2009, 04:09 PM' post='1294617']
Thanks...the amount of RAM is OK.

Where do I set the placing and size of the page file?

At Control Panel | System | Advanced, click Settings in the “Performance” Section. On the Advanced page of the result, the current total physical size of all page files that may be in existence is shown. Click Change to make settings for the Virtual memory operation. Here you can select any drive partition and set either Custom; System Managed or No page file; then always click Set before going on to the next partition.

Another way: Start/right-click on My Computer, select Properties. On the Advanced tab...the first button (under Performance) should be pushed. Click the Advanced tab. Last section is Virtual Memory, click Change. Near the middle of that tab is "System managed size", put dot in that one...push the Set button.

Click OK until all windows close.

If you want to identify processes in Task Manager...I find Google works best. Just type whatever is listed and do a search.

Louis

Here's what my screen shows:

Virtual Memory

Paging File
C:............1524-3048
D:.......(blank)
E:........(blank)

Paging file size per selected drive
Drive C:
Space Availible: 56543 MB
O Custom Size (has a dot in it)
Initial Size 1524