Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Windows 7 from Boot menu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maddie83

Maddie83

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

Hello guys

I had both Windows XP and Windows 7 installed on my computer until a few days ago. Then, I uninstalled the Windows 7 OS, and kept only XP. I've formatted the Windows 7 partition, but when I start the system, it still shows Windows 7 in the menu, and I can still select it. It doesn't work, obviously, but it's pretty annoying.
Any idea how do I remove it from the boot menu?

Thanks guys
Maddie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ITSupportQuotes

ITSupportQuotes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hello Maddie

Don't worry, it's normal. We've all experienced this at least once in a lifetime. What happens is that the boot.ini file, which gives exactly that boot menu, is stored on the partition with the main operating system, in your case Windows XP. So even if you do format the Windows 7 partition, the boot.ini file remains intact on the XP partition.
What you have to do is edit it manually. There are two ways of doing that:
1) Right click My Computer, select Properties, then go to Advanced Tab, then to "System startup, system failure and debugging information" Settings. There you can see an Edit button, that will take you to the boot.ini file.
2) Open My computer, go to Tools Menu, Folder Options and the View tab. Scroll down and select "Hide protected operating system files(Recommended), and select Yes. Then go to your OS partition (probably C:\), and you will find boot.ini.

It should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows 7..." /fastdetect

Make sure that, before you change anything, click Save As... and save it with a new name, so you have a backup in case something goes wrong. Once you save it with a new name, delete the row that calls for Windows 7 instalation, and save it with name "boot.ini". Restart the system and you should see the difference. In case something goes wrong, just go back to C:\, delete the boot.ini file you recently created and rename the old file with this name.

There shouldn't be any problems. Good luck.

#3 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

or you could goto run and type in msconfig and hit enter the under the boot tab rightclick the windows 7 entry then click on delete and then do a restart but make sure you highlight the correct one or you will have to do a boot repair

#4 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

Go ahead and follow these steps, but remember to backup your files before doing any of this (here’s a link to backup info: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/pc-backup.aspx):

1. Go to your start menu
2. Click Run
3. Type in w/o quotes, 'msconfig' and hit Enter
4. Across the top, you should see at least 5 tabs, one of them saying 'boot'. Click on it.
5. You will see multiple command lines underneath there displaying the current operating systems that have boot files available. If you don't want your Windows 7 one and just want XP to boot without seeing the boot loader, the highlight the windows 7 one by clicking on it.
6. Below that, click Delete
7. Click okay, then close, and restart your computer.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users