Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is Lazy I guess

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jaywoo

jaywoo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:56 PM

Hi! I am having "issues" with my PC. It is a home built 2.8 ghz P4, 768Mb of ram, blaa blaa blaa. I built it about a year ago, and it's been working great...up until about a month ago. The original power supply that came with it died. It was a 310 watt power supply, so I picked up a 300 watt from Comp USA. Not a great move, because within two days this power supply went up in a nice puff of smoke also (literally!!). I took it back and got a 400 watt, and so far, it's held up. Next up the video card went. Well, at least I'm pretty sure it did. I replaced it with a NVidia GeForce4 MX4000 card. The video has worked after that, but since the whole power supply/video card incidents, the computer will completly lock up whenever there is multiple applications running. For just surfing the internet, running simple things like outlook, etc it's alright. Start doing other things, though, like open a PDF or play a video, etc and it'll lock up. I will have to power the PC off and let it sit for a bit before it will restart. Even Norton Antivirus won't run through a complete scan without locking it up, so I have no idea if I have a virus.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:17 PM

Lockups can be caused by many things such as power supply, RAM, overheating, and drivers. Test your power supply by unplugging and removing all non-essential hardware that draws power. Then turn on your computer and see if it doesn't lock up.
Test your RAM with Memtest. Check your CPU's temperature with Speed Fan. Finally, check for better drivers. One way is to right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then Device Manger. Right-click on your hardware and select Update Drivers. I'd start with your video card. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by HuckerJ, 31 August 2004 - 06:18 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:31 AM

Better yet, go to the Gforce site, and download any drivers for your specific card.
Cheers,
John

If diagnostics do not show any hardware problems, then get rid of unneeded programs/files, etc. Run Scandisk, and then defrag.

Edited by jgweed, 01 September 2004 - 12:33 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users