Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command-line switches: Can't open Word by clicking on documents

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

Using Windows 7 64-bit.

When I click a Word document in Explorer or on the Start menu, I get the error "There was a problem sending the command to the program". I'm using Word 2003, but I don't get this problem with Excel 2003.

I know that when I try to open a document this way, the program uses the command switches "/n" -- which means "open a new instance of Word", -- and "/dde" -- which I don't know what it means. I do know that I don't want the /n switch.

1) How can I remove the /n switch? Remember, I'm not clicking on a shortcut, but on a document icon. I know how to assign the "Open With" command, but I don't see any options about changing command-line switches.

2) Is the /dde switch causing my problem? How do I remove it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

What happens if you right click on Word, choose properties and then set it to "run in compatibility with Vista"?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hmm I can't reproduce this with 32 bit and Office 2007. There might be a bug. Have you reported this to Microsoft Yet?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

Compatibility mode doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't know how to report things to Microsoft. Can you tell me how?

This doesn't happen with Excel 2003, or with any version of Office 2007. I'm sure this has something to do with how I associated .doc files to Word 2003: I'm guessing that it added the switches, and they're causing the problem. I wish I knew how to change the switches. I also wish I knew what the /dde switch does.

#5 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

The easiest way to get in touch with Microsoft is through the support pages:

Office:http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11377#tab0. This goes to 2007, but you can navigate to actually getting in touch with people from there.

Since Windows 7 is still pre-release, you can't really get any tech support for right now that's OS-specific.
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#6 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

To be honest, Ron, I found the Microsoft support site confusing and unhelpful. I tried searching for "file association" and "Dde command-line switch" and didn't get anything that helped me. In fact, I can't find evidence that there is such a switch as /dde, let alone what it does.

(I'm curious: do you folks at Microsoft ever use the Help and Support site yourselves? I think you'd find it illustrative. How do you get help with Windows problems?)

Edited by shawnvw, 21 June 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#7 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

We actually do use the help sites for the most part before actually talking with tech support. I'll keep looking for a fix for you and will check back soon.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#8 Tupoar

Tupoar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

Hi guys,

I have the same setup but am having problems with Excel 2007. All other office programs are fine. this problem actually started when my machine was Vista but I hoped an upgrade would fix it. I've tried re-installing and check file associatons to no avail.

T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users