Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What is a Larrikin?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

This is intended to explain why Aussies are Different.

Most Americans do not know any thing about the Land Under, except that they are Different?

Can we have an interactive Thread, that may show what Aussies are and how they are accepted in within the World? Aussies have never Attacked another Country, yet have Served admirablely for their Allies.

Most Aussies are Larikins as this Defination shows, [quote]larrikin
Noun
Austral & NZ old-fashioned slang a mischievous or unruly person.
[/qoute]

Funny enough, including Rupert Murdock, Aussies Are shrewd business people.

Most People are really taken aback at their first contact with an Aussie. Lets put that to rest?

Let's Debate in a Nice manner.

Ray.

:trumpet: :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

Aren't most Australians different from each other,

somewhat similar to how most Americans are?

(Note: read my signature for further explanation of my above statement.)

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

When I visited Australia, I actually thought all of the people I met and dealt with were very pleasant. Really no different than how I feel Americans, or almost every other country I visited, are.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

I always consider Australians to be just like Americans (and Canadians for that matter), except they live upside down and have screwed up their seasons.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

Hmm

*Pandy ruminates

I would have thought Australians were pretty much like most other peoples all over.

My Aunt lived in Australia for a while.. I have a boomerang. Everyone else who got one broke theirs, but not me.. I wanted to keep mine LOL

When I moved into my apartment my mom bought me a dijeredoo to match my boomerang. My son is the only one that can get any noise out of it.

Everyone everywhere thinks other people from other places talk funny or have funny words. Everyone else has an accent, but of course I do not have one.. unless I am talking to someone with an accent.. then I do have an accent lol

I do not see why it is any more special being an Australian than it is an American, or British, or Japanese or Chinese or.. wherever or whatever. Maybe I am just "taken aback" *shrug* :thumbsup:

Anyway.. do toilets in Australia flush the other way around?

*Pandy goes to flush the toilet to see which way around it goes.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

Startin' to sound like we all think about the same regarding Australians.

Now, if they just spoke English....

:thumbsup:

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

The bath water when draining,is supposed to swirl in the opposite direction, to the Bath water, in the Northern Hemisphere.
Must research this. :flowers:

You will find most Aussies,don't pretend to be someone,they are not.
Just down to Earth.
I have friends in a few Countries,and find that they the same as we are,and wish for the same things in life. :trumpet:

Just wish our American friends, spoke better English. :thumbsup:

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Silly me, I thought Australians were just people

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

You state that, "Most Americans do not know any thing about the Land Under, except that they are Different?"

I ask you, do most Australians not know anything about the United States of America, except that they are different, as well?

Or are we in the US that unique and ignorant of the world around us? What about Italians? The French? Or Spaniards? For that matter any other nations knowledge of Australia.

I would not be presumptuous to make a judgment call about one nations knowledge of other countries. This is why I ask how you come to that assumption of 'most' Americans and their knowledge of Australia and Australians.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

:thumbsup:

Actually Pandy it is not the Toilet flushing, it is the Bath Water that swirls the oppersite way as it goes down.

Lesson in Playing the Didgeridoo for you, there is a Knack to it. Also at the bottom is the Dreamtime Story on how it was invented.

http://www.didgeridoostore.com/howtoplay.html

Interesting one here on Boomerangs.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=35fzwB...lt&resnum=6

Some of the most commonly asked Questions about Australia are answered in the Following.

These questions about Australia were posted on an Australian Tourism Website and obviously the answers came from a fellow Aussie.

1. Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, so how do the plants grow? (UK)
A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

2. Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you've been drinking

3. Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.....

4. Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia? (Sweden)
A: So it's true what they say about Swedes.

5. Q: It is imperative that I find the names and addresses of places to contact for a stuffed porpoise. (Italy)
A: Let's not touch this one.

6. Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
A: What did your last slave die of?

7. Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the pacific which does not... oh forget it.
Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

8. Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 90 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

9. Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

10. Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

11. Q: Do you have perfume in Australia? (France)
A: No, WE don't stink.

12. Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

13. Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
A: You are a British politician, right?

14. Q: Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
A: Yes, gay nightclubs.

15. Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
A: Only at Christmas.

16. Q: Are there killer bees in Australia? (Germany)
A: Not yet, but for you, we'll import them.

17. Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilisation of vegan hunter gatherers. Milk is illegal.

18. Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. USA)
A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

19. Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)
A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

21. Q: I was in Australia in 1969 on R+R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
A: Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour.

22. Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA)
A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.

That is a good example of Aussie Larrikinism. Just good natured wit.

:flowers: :trumpet:

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

Abacus 7 said: "That is a good example of Aussie Larrikinism. Just good natured wit."

Actually, since it is supposedly from a Tourism site,

some of the answers, such as for #s 6, 11, 12, 14, & 19

are quite rude.

While many of the questions don't reflect well on the questioner -

on a Tourism website it should be remembered that some could be a young person trying to learn about your country -

the responses don't imply any sort of friendly attitude.

Otherwise, I somewhat agree with Animal, your knowledge of "most Americans" is a bit presumptuous.

#12 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

I would add to that comparison with a couple of other examples as to why presumptious comparisons can be problematic, but it'd probably be going off subject and such that's outside the whole "people" thing.

But I do agree with JohnWho, though, that the listed ones (and probably others) are a bit rude.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#13 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well I guess if that sort of thing is what a Larrikin is.. I know what we call that in America.. it begins with a... nevermind :thumbsup:

Edited by Pandy, 09 June 2009 - 07:56 PM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:50 AM

Abacus7 posted:

These questions about Australia were posted on an Australian Tourism Website and obviously the answers came from a fellow Aussie.

This has been doing the rounds as a joke email. It is obviously fake and has never appeared on any tourism website.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:50 AM

I can't believe, some members would actually believe,Abacus7's Post, is anything, but a Joke. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users