Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have I wrecked my ram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ozi

ozi

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

I installed two 1gb sticks of DDr2 ram into my old Dell GX280 & have since had problems with freezing . Being a novice with Pc hardware I might have handled the ram incorrectly & was not aware of the antistatic thing , although I always had a hand on bare metal as per the Dell manual . How can I correct this problem ?
Cheers Ozi :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:03 AM

:trumpet:

Try removing one?

Maybe 2xIG is too much for the System.

Ensure you are Grounded by touching a Metal part of the turned off Computer, or wear an antistatic Strap. Try it as just 1G and report back. Sometime you can Jump too High with RAM and the Computer can't keep up.

What I mean is to let it get used to 1 G, first then let it accept the other 1 G later.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 09 June 2009 - 06:12 AM.

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

You may want to try removing the sticks of ram and re-seating them "firmly".

A good can of air cleaning out any dust "in" the memory slots would also be a good idea.

A good memory test would be to go to http://www.memtest.org/ and download a copy of MemTest86+ and run it on your computer. It will tell you if you have a defective stick of memory. Then by process of elimination you can pull one stick and re-run the test till it shows no errors.

Be forewarned..... MemTest86+ takes some time to run. Patience is a virtue.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Did you unplug the computer before installing the new memory ?

Where did you purchase the new memory ?
What brand/model is the new memory ?

Is the total number of black chips on 1 stick even or odd ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 ozi

ozi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:50 AM

:trumpet:

Try removing one?

Maybe 2xIG is too much for the System.

Ensure you are Grounded by touching a Metal part of the turned off Computer, or wear an antistatic Strap. Try it as just 1G and report back. Sometime you can Jump too High with RAM and the Computer can't keep up.

What I mean is to let it get used to 1 G, first then let it accept the other 1 G later.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Did you unplug the computer before installing the new memory ?

Where did you purchase the new memory ?
What brand/model is the new memory ?

Is the total number of black chips on 1 stick even or odd ?

First up PC had 2x512 in it & tried it with one stick & still giving problems & then reseated both [2x1] & PC much better but not much quicker then it was with the 2x512 sticks in it & still does not feel right .

Second I purchased new 2x1gb AMICROE part no AMI1GBSD-6400 [800Mhz Di-mm] from local PC shop & showed him old ram & he told me these OK & I should put new ram in 2 main slots & old ram into the unused slots , making total ram 3gb . I thought 3gb might be the problem & removed the 2x512 & then I started to have freezing problems .. Sorry but not able to access PC to check number of black strips but will check as soon as able , I assume one is low density & not suitable for Dell PC's
Many thanks Ozi Update Ram has 8 black strips on them .

Edited by ozi, 10 June 2009 - 03:52 AM.

#6 ozi

ozi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

You may want to try removing the sticks of ram and re-seating them "firmly".

A good can of air cleaning out any dust "in" the memory slots would also be a good idea.

A good memory test would be to go to http://www.memtest.org/ and download a copy of MemTest86+ and run it on your computer. It will tell you if you have a defective stick of memory. Then by process of elimination you can pull one stick and re-run the test till it shows no errors.

Be forewarned..... MemTest86+ takes some time to run. Patience is a virtue.

Removed Ram & reinserted firmly as directed & PC opening my Doc's in the blink of an eye . What tests apart from memtest can I do to test speed ?

Is it normal to see moisture forming when using canned air , or is it just normal as it dry's up immediately ?

Many thanks again & you guy's rock .
Cheers Ozi :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users