Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any help apprciated, Vid Card/mobo/cpu...arghh.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 goldenbear76

goldenbear76

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:52 AM

Ok so here's the low down...

About a week ago I was playin a mmorpg and I heard a pop, then saw a sparq (instantly after pop). Not sure where the sparq came from honestly cause i didn't get a good look. Anyway, My old PSU is dead. Swapped in another 400w psu ..its a piece of junk iMicro 400w psu ...(PS-IM400).

Steps I took..

1) Put in the IM400 Power supply into old MoBo (biostar one). Barebones...plugged in my monitor into my onboard video. Powered everything up and nothing..no screen or anything. Seemed like I was gettin power...but just no video, and not seeing the Bios come up.

2)Added Sapphire 1950 vid card, everything would power up fine, then shut down ..again..no video ..no bios screen.

3) Changed CPU from my 3.4ghz to my old 2.1 celeron (both are socket 478). Nothing changed.

4) Bought a used MoBo for $35 that would work with what I have. No bios showing after rinse and repeating. Also when I plugged in just my Vid card and not my HDD...I would have power...but no screen showing. THe minute I plugged in my HDD together with my vid card...system would shut down after 5-10 seconds. No video, no bios screen.

5) About this time ...i'm starting to talk to my bleeping computer.

6)Took an old AGP vid card from a working computer...plugged it in..no video, no bios load up that I can see.

After all i've done..i'm runnin out of ideas...I mean, my first dead PSU is a 400w iMicro LC-8400BTX...and it seemed to run everything alright for about 2 years before it died. Now this newer im400psu from imicro can't run it?

My computer is an ol Betsy..

3.4ghz intel processor.
Abit VT7 motherboard (first motherboard was a p4m80-m4 by Biostar).
Sapphire 1950GT vid card (i know this is psu hog).
2gb Crucial RAM Pc3200 DDR400.
Seagate HDD 250 or 300gb..normal IDE HD.
Zalman 2 Ball Bearing fan (giant air cooled fan)

Parts i've swapped...
512m pc3200 kingston RAM from working computer. (took out the 2 sticks of 1gb crucial ram to make sure that wasnt busted)
PNY GeForce 6200 from working computer.

It seems like when I have just the HDD plugged into the mobo with RAM and either CPU...the HDD is spinning..its doing something cause i can hear the initialization click sound...but I can't see anything lol. So I don't even know if i'm getting to bios or anything. I assume i'm not though. Since I should be seeing the post to bios with the 2nd vid card i used. Which makes this even more puzzling ...since that is not a PSU hog.

One note...The New PSU i'm using is 110v (you know with the 230/110v switch in the back).....the old PSU that I used is 115v on the back...(230/115). Would that make a difference? Frig i'm pullin my hair out. Need a cig.

Edited by goldenbear76, 09 June 2009 - 05:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Ok so here's the low down...

About a week ago I was playin a mmorpg and I heard a pop, then saw a sparq (instantly after pop). Not sure where the sparq came from honestly cause i didn't get a good look. Anyway, My old PSU is dead. Swapped in another 400w psu ..its a piece of junk iMicro 400w psu ...(PS-IM400).

Steps I took..

1) Put in the IM400 Power supply into old MoBo (biostar one). Barebones...plugged in my monitor into my onboard video. Powered everything up and nothing..no screen or anything. Seemed like I was gettin power...but just no video, and not seeing the Bios come up.

2)Added Sapphire 1950 vid card, everything would power up fine, then shut down ..again..no video ..no bios screen.

3) Changed CPU from my 3.4ghz to my old 2.1 celeron (both are socket 478). Nothing changed.

4) Bought a used MoBo for $35 that would work with what I have. No bios showing after rinse and repeating. Also when I plugged in just my Vid card and not my HDD...I would have power...but no screen showing. THe minute I plugged in my HDD together with my vid card...system would shut down after 5-10 seconds. No video, no bios screen.

5) About this time ...i'm starting to talk to my bleeping computer.

6)Took an old AGP vid card from a working computer...plugged it in..no video, no bios load up that I can see.

After all i've done..i'm runnin out of ideas...I mean, my first dead PSU is a 400w iMicro LC-8400BTX...and it seemed to run everything alright for about 2 years before it died. Now this newer im400psu from imicro can't run it?

My computer is an ol Betsy..

3.4ghz intel processor.
Abit VT7 motherboard (first motherboard was a p4m80-m4 by Biostar).
Sapphire 1950GT vid card (i know this is psu hog).
2gb Crucial RAM Pc3200 DDR400.
Seagate HDD 250 or 300gb..normal IDE HD.
Zalman 2 Ball Bearing fan (giant air cooled fan)

Parts i've swapped...
512m pc3200 kingston RAM from working computer. (took out the 2 sticks of 1gb crucial ram to make sure that wasnt busted)
PNY GeForce 6200 from working computer.

It seems like when I have just the HDD plugged into the mobo with RAM and either CPU...the HDD is spinning..its doing something cause i can hear the initialization click sound...but I can't see anything lol. So I don't even know if i'm getting to bios or anything. I assume i'm not though. Since I should be seeing the post to bios with the 2nd vid card i used. Which makes this even more puzzling ...since that is not a PSU hog.

One note...The New PSU i'm using is 110v (you know with the 230/110v switch in the back).....the old PSU that I used is 115v on the back...(230/115). Would that make a difference? Frig i'm pullin my hair out. Need a cig.

Just get a new everything at once and that might work. By introducing one dead thing to another you are killing the perfectly usable one.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:35 AM

The one time I have ever heard anything "pop" on a computer system...I had just managed to blow my motherboard.

Louis

#4 goldenbear76

goldenbear76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

Yeah well i don't have a few hundred bucks to blow atm...so Im tryin to keep Betsy kickin. I have another desktop computer thats even older than what i have. I've been trading parts on it to see what works etc. I can't test the cpu on it though. I do know 1 stick of memory works though. I'm on it right now ;p. When I stuck 2 sticks of the memory in though...the system booted into windows...for bout 20 seconds...then crashed. So I could have 1 stick of bad memory. Seems like whatever happened might of taken out a few things lol. Never had that happen before though. I've had mobo's go out..never a CPU...and never memory either. So this is like a jigsaw puzzle to me atm.

#5 goldenbear76

goldenbear76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

Ok well i tested the other 1g stick of memory and the system didn't even post..got a beep. SOOOOooo....I've got 1 memory stick that is definitely bad. I'm running the vid card right now and that seems to be good.

All I have to do now is check the original motherboard, and CPU...grr. I'm guessing if I heard a pop and with the flash..it might of been the CPU gettin fried, and taking the stick of RAM with it? Anyone heard of that before?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

If you try a known good stick of memory & the unit doesn't start I suggest you have 2 bad motherboards.

1 was possibly [probably] damaged & the other you say you bought used.
Unless you actually saw the used one work before you bought it you don't know for sure it's good.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 goldenbear76

goldenbear76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

Case Closed!!!

I tried the new motherboard again. Stuck in 1 gb of the GOOD ram that I knew was good. Gave another shot with my 3.4ghz p4. Plugged in the known good vid card ..an old AGP Gforce 6200. Used the power supply from a good working computer (crappy 250w one). Anyway..it pretty much instantly booted up with that. So essentially my first motherboard blew out and took a stick of ram with it. I think i'm going to look into getting a new power supply and another gig of the pc3200 memory and i'll be good to go. I think my other Video Card is good (the sapphire 1950gt)..but its a power hungry one..and until I get a decent PSU..not gonna risk going thru this again.

People ask...why spend $100 bucks upgrading an old system. Because..when you buy a new mobo/cpu...you also need new RAM..New Video Card. So I can spend $100 bucks fixing an old system..or I can spend $300-400 making a completely new one. Times are tight!.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:36 PM

" I think my other Video Card is good (the sapphire 1950gt)..but its a power hungry one.."

I have a Sapphire X1800 XL PCI-E card in this one.
When I got the card the requirements said "450W or more" power supply
I had a 450W so I figured I was good.
Less then 2 weeks after I put the X1800 XL in the power supply failed.

I now have a 680>W power supply.

The 1950GT is even more power hungry so don't skimp on the power supply !
If you buy a really decent one it will be one less thing to buy when you do a major upgrade.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users