Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Four times I repaired Avast!........

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Blurredweasel

Blurredweasel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:48 AM

.........in the last 3 months. I'm running Avast! Home edition free (the latest, 4.8 I believe) which I installed around Feb. 25/09. Every once in a while I start my system and the "A ball" has that red line through it and it's not running.

I went to the "Add/Remove Programs" and found "Repair." I performed this operation and restarted and it was fine. Every 3 to 4 weeks this would happen, and each time I successfully repaired but the last time was a bit stubborn. It took 2 tries to get it back. Another thing I noticed on the last restart was the shut-down was hanging because an application was not responding or quitting. This application was to do with my Epson online app of some kind. This was the only time I had a hanging shut-down when doing a repair. After everything was back to normal, I went to msconfig and disabled this online app that has to do with Epson. The printer works fine so I figure I don't need it unless I launch the program manually to get updates or any other goodies.

I've been okay for about a couple of weeks now. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have any advice on what to do to avoid this in the future, or, should I do a complete reinstall (don't really want to have to do that) if it happens again? I'm hoping it's some little thing that I missed and is really simple to fix.

Avast! is set to "automatic updates" and I'm running Win XP Home SP3. Windows Firewall. Windows Defender.

Thanks in advance.
Blurred.

P.S. This is just a hunch. I'll use this analogy: Maybe Epson and Avast! both said "lets go look for some updates" and they both tried to get on the bus at the same time and one of them banged their head and was left all stunned doofy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users