Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Descriptions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ineedhelpplease

ineedhelpplease

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:54 AM

Hi. Yesterday, I did something here that made me move some files. This isn't a major thing but I realised there are the file descriptions attached to the names of my files.

Eg.

Music.mp3
Picture.JPEG

I was wondering how do you remove these things (the .mp3 and the .JPEG)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:40 AM

You cannot actually remove these as Windows (I'm assuming you are on Windows as you don't tell us your OS) requires these file extensions to recognise the type of file and therefore the associated program.

You can however hide the extensions if you don't want to see them.

In Window explorer, go tools>folder options>view and check the box "hide extensions for known file types"

#3 ineedhelpplease

ineedhelpplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:41 AM

Thx that's exactly what I wanted.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

FWIW: It's probably wise to enable yourself to see file extensions.

Looking at a file without the extension provides no clue whatever to what that file might be...and the names used before the file extension...can be used any number of times, by any type of file.

A file may be malware or simply a different type of file...without looking at the extension, a user has no clue. Some malware files will employ legitimate file names but the giveaway occurs when a user sees two file extensions, rather than one.

See first item at http://www.malwarehelp.org/malware-prevent...le%20extensions

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users