Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop lockup with Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:12 AM

My wife's laptop had been off for about a week, sitting gracefully in the carrying case. Tonight, she decided to check e-mail.

1. Powered the system with AC
2. Pressed the 'ON' button
3. System did it's normal thing and put up the login icons
4. She clicked on her icon and the system began doing its thing
5. After the desktop had completely staged, the system beeped once
6. Google desktop (looks like a search bar) came up in the center of the screen
7. She clicked the "X" to get rid of it and prepare to read mail
8. She clicked on the Comcast Mail icon in the toolbar
--- NOTHING HAPPENED--- I told her to wait
9. System beeped one more time and the google desktop exited
10. System now beeped four (i.e 4) times (e.g. beep beep beep beep)
11 The mouse could move around the screen but nothing else worked. If you clicked on something it would not even highlight the icon. A click on the "start" button did nothing. Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the task manager did nothing.
12. We let it sit to see if anything else would happen.
13. After 5 minutes give or take 10 seconds, McAfee began to scan the system for viruses.
14. Clicked on the "mail" icon" again and it seemed to start
15. All of a sudden, without telling it to "Nero StartSmart Essentials" started to run.
16. I closed out Nero and the mail came up.

Does anyone have any idea what type of ghost or gremlin got into this system to make
it misbehave so.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

Try this link to determine what those Beeps are warning you about:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1223

Paul

#3 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:03 AM

Sorry,
Forgot to mention this link may be too general. Beeps are coded by different BIOS manufacturers to cover different situations so you may need to check what BIOS you have on your Laptop and then see what the particular beeps you hear signify. Your Laptop manual may help. Two more sites that may help are:
http://www.pcmech.com/article/beep-codes/

http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/PC/beep.php

Paul

#4 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

Aus Smitty -- Thanks for the information about the beep codes. I will save those links. HOWEVER, these beeps happened well after POST and when the system had already started windows and logon/login was complete. All seems to be normal. McAfee is the only security software installed with the exception of the Comcast Anti-Spyware on their toolbar.

The system has not acted up since this event. chkdsk and defrag found nothing. McAfee scan ran to completion and found nothing.

I guess this event should now be closed; I will log it in my notes as a freak event.

#5 pm79311

pm79311

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

If the system was off for a while, Mcafee probably downloaded the virus database update files. It used to much processor time for the download process thus not allowing you to use the computer. The answer is in your setup. You may find that background apps have two much priority as compared to foreground apps.

right click computer, properties, system properties, advanced, performance opotions, advanced.
click on adjust for best performance of: Programs.

Also check to see how close to full your hard disk is. If it is near its limit, the page file and other windows apps may be having problems saving to disk. When windows starts, many temp files are written to disk. If there is no space, there will be a problem.

I have had problems where for some reason when Mcafee downloaded new virus data files, it did not delete the old files. These files stacked up until the hard disk was full, and caused the major slowdown.

#6 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:55 PM

Good to hear the laptop is back to normal - was there anything in the Event Viewer around the time of the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users