Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

I had previously visited this board over a year ago pondering the same question. But seeing as I have: 1. not been able to obtain a fully functioning new computer (yet) , 2. still using the old one, I'd like to know about what the best parts are out there currently so when this one fails (which hopefully won't be for awhile :blink: ) I'd also like to know what sort of parts to just flat out avoid.

With that said, here's some of the things I'm looking for with a computer:

PC (not Mac)
Desktop not Laptop
Decent graphics card (does not need to be the best, but need to be durable for long gaming periods)
Decent Cooling (I want to be able to use my computer, not fry an egg on it)
Able to handle multiple programs at the same time (4-5 programs+ ; think maybe one or two video games, mozilla firefox, maybe some messenger programs...etc)
A Motherboard that does the "job" and doesn't fail
Sturdy Hard Drive (at least 250 GB, preferably more)
Intel 2 Core Duo Processor or better

[edit: Can be a custom or not; I'd prefer a custom I could customize online...Please nothing from HP.]

The tricky part is with the Operating System:
I've experienced a bit of Vista (both 32bit and 64bit) and I can't say I'm a fan of the operating system. I'm more of a XP 32bit sort of person, as its the OS I'm most familiar with and (within my own personal experience) has given me the least amount of problems. However, I wouldn't mind going Vista 32bit or 64bit if someone could verify the following for me:

1. I've heard that 64bit OSes can sometimes have problems with older games. Have you as a 64bit OS user experienced any problems with your older games? If so, which games were these?
2. I've heard time and time again that 64bit OSes are "worth it" and are "the future" for gamers. But in the present is it really worth getting that 64bit OS over the 32bit?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by TTC, 08 June 2009 - 11:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

Unless you are planning to buy/build now giving hardware suggestions is a bit useless.
Even if you use only what is available at the moment that doesn't mean all will be available in the [even near] future.

If I were building a new gaming unit I would stick to the socket 775/ C2D or Qcore CPUs

If I were planing to run older games I would stick to a 32 bit OS as not everything works on 64 bit.
I would also stick with XP for a much higher compatibility rate
Vista is gar-bage & "7" is Vista with UAC tomed down & repackaged.
[Yes, I have used both, Vista home basic, home premimum, & ultimate, Windows 7 Beta & RC1 ]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users