Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Well, this happened at startup...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

I had shut off my computer for a couple of hours, and when I turn it back on I'm greeted with a Windows Geniune Advantage Notification Installation Wizard. ( Joy of joys. :thumbsup: )
Anyway, I hit cancel and am hoping I won't be bothered by it again.

I'd like to ask some questions of this board:

a. I'm assuming I got this annoying notification from installing the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) back in April. Why is it showing me an installation wizard now?
b. Am I going to be constantly badgered by this installation wizard til I install it, or is it going to leave me alone after I hit cancel.
c. Is this possibly a non-legit program trying to pose as a real one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:11 AM

I had shut off my computer for a couple of hours, and when I turn it back on I'm greeted with a Windows Geniune Advantage Notification Installation Wizard. ( Joy of joys. :thumbsup: )
Anyway, I hit cancel and am hoping I won't be bothered by it again.

I'd like to ask some questions of this board:
a. I'm assuming I got this annoying notification from installing the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) back in April. Why is it showing me an installation wizard now?

Yes, most likely; and I haven't a clue.

b. Am I going to be constantly badgered by this installation wizard til I install it, or is it going to leave me alone after I hit cancel.

You will be bothered and bothered and bothered...

c. Is this possibly a non-legit program trying to pose as a real one?

A very good question. If you have Automatic Updates enabled, then it's likely legit and just a newer version of the one you installed in April. If you have them disabled then you may want to look very carefully at this installer before proceeding.

PS
For all you Linux users out there: Linux Genuine Advantage

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 09 June 2009 - 12:17 AM.
LGA

#3 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

I do have my automatic updates enabled and I checked my update history. I don't think I have downloaded any new updates that would effect that update? :s If so, I've been blissfully unaware of it until now lol. Any idea about that?

edit: 6/9/2009 update: Also I started up computer today and didn't get the notification. :D

Edited by TTC, 09 June 2009 - 10:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users