Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore File Extensions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Can anyone tell me what file extensions are used by System Restores to backup files?

I am wondering if I can stop it from backing up anything using the .rdb files.

I have used all the registry modifications recommended by ZoneAlarm to stop it from backing up the .rdb files created by ZoneAlarm but they have not worked. My next step is to modify the System Restore backup list but am afraid that if I stop it from backing up anything using that extension I might be stopping System Restore functionality if it uses the extension of .rbd to backup all files.

Does anyone know or know of a way I can find out?

Btw, the only files on my system that uses that extension are the ones created by ZA and the ones in System Restore. The ones in System Restore appear to all be the ZA files but I do not know for sure.

Any info anyone can give me about this would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Stang777, 09 June 2009 - 08:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

The files that are monitored or excluded from monitoring in Windows XP are specified in the file %windir%\system32\restore\Filelist.xml.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

Thanks Budapest, I appreciate you responding but that is the list I was referring to when I said I my next step is to modify the System Restore backup list.

I guess I did not make my question clear enough, lets see if I can do it better. What I am wondering is, does System Restore use that extension for its backup of any files that did not have that extension before they were backed up. As in, if one does not have any .rdb files on their system, does System Restore create them as the backup files that System Restore would use to restore the system?

I do not think it does, but just wanted to be sure. I do not want my ZoneAlarm .rdb files backed up (they fill up SR way too fast) and want to stop SR from backing it up, but do not want to mess up SR so wanted to check this out before I did this.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

I'm not sure. But, rather that excluding all .rdb files why not just exclude the directory where ZoneAlarm stores its .rdb files.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

Thanks but the only way I know of to exclude that directory is in the registry and I already did that, it just did not work

On second thought, I guess I could just add that directory to the exclude list in the Filelist.xml, right? Is that what you meant?

I was just going to delete the .rdb files from the backup part of that file but if I what I have above will work, that would better. Thanks for giving me the idea to do that, if that is in fact what you meant, is it?

Edited by Stang777, 10 June 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

Can you exclude it in Filelist.xml?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:44 PM

You were apparently replying as I was editing my post to ask if that was what you meant, lol.

Yes, I think I can. To make sure I got the path right, I just copied another line in that file, one that was for a directory in the Windows folder, just like the Internet Logs folder that has those .rdb files in it is, then pasted it on a new line there and replaced that directory name with "Internet Logs".

It might be a while until I know for sure if it worked, as I am not sure if I am going to have to reboot, or even turn off then on SR, for it to take effect, but hopefully it will work.

I really do not want to have to restart SR and lose my previous restore points, but at some point, if it doesn't work without me doing that, I will do it. I can always just replace those restore points with the backups of them I have, but I am not able to do all that tonight.

If you want me to let you know how it works out, I will.

Thank you so very much for replying and your suggestion. I feel much more comfortable doing it the way you suggested than what I was planning. Thanks again :thumbsup:

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

Just thought I would update this in case someone ever runs into this problem in the future.

Doing what was described above worked. After I did that, once a new restore point was created the next day, those .rdb files were no longer backed up. There was no need to turn off System Restore or even reboot the computer to make it stop backing up those .rdb files.

After doing this, the size of my Restore Points went from around 500 mb each day, to about 40 mb each day. Obviously a HUGE difference there which made it so my disk space wasn't disappearing so quickly and the number of Restore Points I can have increased drastically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users