Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing xp onto win 98

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 raegstar

raegstar

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:45 AM

umm i was wondering if i can install windows xp onto a windows 98 computer? i thinks its an old computer if so can some one tell me how :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:01 AM

It really depends on the computer. Do you know what CPU, Ram and Hard Drive you have? If you don't then run EVEREST Home Edition and let us know. Microsoft has minimum system requirements but I think they are totally bogus.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 raegstar

raegstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:13 AM

its a pentium 100 and the system properties r 48.0MB RAM and Genuineintel

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:21 AM

Sorry mate, your out of luck. It's the wrong generation for WinXP. Stick with the 98 if it runs. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 raegstar

raegstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:22 AM

it work but i want a fresh start is there anyway easily to restart my computer over and rub every thing of.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:47 AM

Do you have Windows 98 on a CD?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:51 AM

Sure, you need:Win98 CD (preferrably the SE version)
Product Key - there is a utility to find it if you don't have the sticker.Keyfinder
Win98 Startup Floppy - go to Control Panel>System and you can make one.
Driver disks/CDs for your mobo, video card and sound card and any other hardware you have.
Internet and email account details if its going to be on the internet.
Application CDs to reinstall your programs.
Then these are the steps I would recommend:

1. Boot from the startup floppy with CDROM support and at the A: prompt type "FORMAT C:" without the quotes. If you are sure answer "Y" to the warning.

2. Put the Win98 CD in the CDROM drive. Because of the way the startup disk boots this will most likely be your E: drive.

3. At the A: prompt type "C:" (no quotes) return, then "MKDIR WIN98" return. This should make a new directory on your hard drive called WIN98. Check this by typing "DIR".

4. At the C: prompt type "E:" then DIR, you should see several directories listed including one called WIN98. If not you are on the wrong drive and you need to try different drive letters until you find your CDROM. When you see WIN98 type "CD WIN98" then "COPY *.* C:\WIN98". This will copy the contents of the Windows folder to your hard drive (which makes installation and future changes easier).

5. When the copy is done type "C:\" then "CD WIN98". Do a DIR to check there are files ending in CAB present. then type "Setup".

6. Now you are in the Windows 98 installation program and you follow the prompts.

Good luck!

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:58 AM

In a perfect world you could do what Rimmer says. I don't know why everybody wants to install from the Hard Drive. I don't. Do you have any CD's that came with the computer? If so, tell us what they are. Floppys too, or Stiffey's as Rimmer might call them. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 01 July 2005 - 07:00 AM.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:05 AM

Stiffey's as Rimmer might call them

I certainly would not! That has an entirely different connotation here. :thumbsup:

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

I am not worthy.

Apologies. I am supplicant. :thumbsup:

Rimmer is in Australia. I'm thinking of Great Britain

Need a British member to confirm or deny.

#11 raegstar

raegstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

welll the floppy drive dosnt work for some reason and i got the computer of a friend. so i dont have the cd's. i just thought there was a way to wipe it over like u can do on xp

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:27 PM

Make a 98 boot disk and boot with that in the drive. You may need to set the A: drive to boot first. When you accept CD Support wait for it to go to A:\> and type the following (press enter after each line) with the 98 CD in that drive:

E:

setup

Easy eh?

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

Sorry, just saw you want to format. So do this at A:\>

format C: /u

Say yes to the warning and then go:

E:

Setup

#14 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

Sorry, just saw you want to format. So do this at A:\>

format C: /u

Say yes to the warning and then go:

E:

Setup

But only do this if you have the Windows 98 install disk on hand.

Just thought I would add that as I have seen a few people do that and wonder why thier windows 98 won't start up any more. Well they formated the hard drive and wiped it out.

#15 bluto

bluto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:37 PM

its a pentium 100 and the system properties r 48.0MB RAM and Genuineintel

How about hd size guys.XP needs plenty to work well.I guess this one
to be too small to even install it.
My XP Windows folder is currently 2.78 gb.needs 15 % free to operate well.
Not to mention what else you want to install.
40 gb bare minimum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users