Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TEC cooler?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

I have this TEC cooling plate I took out of a drink chiller awhile ago. Do you think I could possible mod it a little and use it as a CPU cooler?

This is about what it looks like.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
the only problem I see is condensation, by the way, I have a spare crap-CPU to test it on in case you suggest it.

Edited by 21stCenturyBreakdown, 08 June 2009 - 08:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:41 PM

I would be more worried about condensation getting on the motherboard & frying it .

I don't think I'd risk it unless I used stuff that I just wasn't worried about ruining.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

I would be more worried about condensation getting on the motherboard & frying it .

I don't think I'd risk it unless I used stuff that I just wasn't worried about ruining.

What if I could place some sort of "fixed" cloth on it to prevent condensation (I already tried this off the CPU and there wasn't one drop of water!

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

"I already tried this off the CPU and there wasn't one drop of water! "

Did you have it mounted on something that was putting out steady heat while it was cooling ?

The only way to know how it will work is to actually try it.

I have read articles on all sorts of computer/CPU cooling, from everything being submerged in mineral oil to water cooling & haven't seen what you are suggesting tried yet.
Who knows, You may have found the next big thing in CPU cooling.

Scrape up some working components you don't care about & give it a go.

I have a still NIB "super socket 7" motherboard & AMD K6-2 550 MHz CPU I'd try it on. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 21stCenturyBreakdown

21stCenturyBreakdown
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

"I already tried this off the CPU and there wasn't one drop of water! "

Did you have it mounted on something that was putting out steady heat while it was cooling ?

The only way to know how it will work is to actually try it.

I have read articles on all sorts of computer/CPU cooling, from everything being submerged in mineral oil to water cooling & haven't seen what you are suggesting tried yet.
Who knows, You may have found the next big thing in CPU cooling.

Scrape up some working components you don't care about & give it a go.

I have a still NIB "super socket 7" motherboard & AMD K6-2 550 MHz CPU I'd try it on. :thumbsup:

Sorry I don't know what the heck I'm typing... I didn't try it, I just put a cloth over it and there wasn't much water on it.

Of course, it was the middle of the night and the last day of school so.....

Edited by 21stCenturyBreakdown, 09 June 2009 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users