Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer doesn't wanna print

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

Its a HP Laser Jet 6/p/6MP Post Script printer. When I try to print, the "C" light blinks and stays blinking. Usually it prints right away. I can print a test page (not form the computer). The lightning light looks like its on but its very very light, meaning not fully lite up. Whats wrong? The link below didn't help with my problem, but lets you know what printer I have.

This is how it looks: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...mp;locale=en_US

Note: This is the first time I ave this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

I am not sure what you mean - you can print a test page (not from the computer). Is it a test page generated from your printer or a Windows XP Printer Test Page?

Right click your printer in Printers and Faxes, Properties, Print Test Page - does that work?

What program are you trying to use to print? Is it your browser, notepad, wordpad, a MS Office application (like MS Word)?

When you open your printer from Start, Settings, Printer and Faxes and double click your printer, are there any queued documents waiting to print?

Maybe there is a "bad" print job in front of your other ones holding them up.

Try to clear them from the print queue by Canceling all documents.

If they can't be deleted, stop the Print Spooler service (is it running?), then navigate to where the pending print jobs are stored:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Delete all the old print jobs (the Print Spool service must be stopped), restart the Print Spool service. Make sure the print spool folder is now empty and there is nothing pending when you open your printer.

As a matter of fact, stop the Print Spool service and delete any pending jobs anyway and restart the Print Spool service just to be sure it starts properly and the folder remains empty.

Try your Windows XP Print Test Page again from Printers and Faxes, Properties. If that works, try a simple print job - a notepad or wordpad document. Try a print job from your browser (print a WWW page).

If all that easy stuff works, try your "real" print job again. If it still doesn't print, you need to investigate what is wrong with the application (whatever it is) you are using to print.

If it gets stuck in the queue (the spool folder), it will block anything from printing after that until it is removed.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:29 AM

Other HP printer models have the same issue. Sometimes it prints, sometimes it doesn't.
Before you do as joseibarra suggested, there is one simple thing to try.
Don't cancel the print job.
Reboot your computer, get to your desktop, see if printing begins.
It's a hassle to have to do this, but sometimes it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users