Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing program once, using on dual OS?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

Alright so like many people i'm dual booting many operating systems. My current configuration is

Windows 7
Ubuntu
Windows XP

Well...i would like to only have to install programs once onto my computer and then be able to use them in Windows 7 or Windows XP. Basically to where they both look like they are installed on that OS but really it's only been installed into one location.

Here are the options i came up with:

http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm
Application Mover --- Haven't tried it yet...but not too sure it that would work.

And something i found here: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=285886

Where basically this is quoted from what the user posted:

Not necessarily. I setup three partitions on the same Raid-0 disk array:

1 - 20GB - XP Pro
2 - 40GB - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
3 - remaining space - Programs.

Change the drive letters using disk management (Vista and XP both see their install drives as C:) for Programs to the same letter to reduce confusion (E: for me.)

Then install all your software in XP, changing the install folder for each setup to E:\Program Files. Reboot, and repeat the install in Vista, again pointing the setup to E:\Program Files. I installed 40 different programs this way, and only four did not work when installed this way (Norton I.S. being one.) For those, I uninstalled in Vista, and re-installed into E:\Program Files (x86)\. Thus, 60GB of installed programs were only installed once, and work fine from both Operating Systems.

And that sounds like a great idea and way to do it, BUT...i've already got most of my programs installed through Windows 7, and i can tell you Adobe Master Collection CS4 takes about 2 hours to install. I would like to not have to reinstall everything but if i have to i'm sure i can make it work.

Just wondering if anybody has any other ideas on how i might be able to accomplish this?

Thanks for the help guys!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

<<Basically to where they both look like they are installed on that OS but really it's only been installed into one location.>>

I can only tell you...Windows (any version) is not set up so that a totally different version can run programs not natively installed on that system.

As for the excerpt link you provided...I don't believe it. BTW...if you count, he did install programs in both Vista and XP.

You see...it doesn't matter what hard drive the programs are installed on...the settings and registry entries are on the O/S where the program is installed, no other place.

No registry entries and no settings...that program cannot run from that O/S. Users can look at the files but that program won't run if it's not properly installed.

I could be wrong about this one (I'm dense much of the time)...but I don't think so, see what others think.

Louis

#3 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

Yeah i just wasn't sure if there was any type of software out there that could read the registry entries from one OS and duplicate it onto another...hmm...if nobody on here knows of one...i think i just might write one myself! Ahh i love challenges! Only thing is...by the time it's bug free and working, i wont need it anymore

Edited by tripflex, 08 June 2009 - 07:20 PM.

#4 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:12 AM

Okay, update to everything...i ended up doing it just like that guy said he did, i have 3 different partitions, one for program files, one for XP, one for 7 and then i just installed ubuntu on the 7 partition. All 3 boot perfectly fine and every program installed great. They all work like a charm!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users