Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could Malware have deleted or hidden a User?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

I posted a thread also in the XP OS section since I'm not sure if this was caused my a virus or not, but I do also have some question on using Malwarebytes, since I have never had to use it before. Here's the scoop...

A friend said she got a message saying she was infected (I'm not sure she even remembers what it said, or from were it came from), she clicked on remove and her computer locked up. After rebooting, all she said she got was her desktop, nothing else was there. It is an old computer and was mainly worried about losing all the photos she had on it.
I told her I might be able to pull the pictures out and see if I can fix it for her.

so I get it, and sure enough, at boot up, it gives you her 2 logins, one is hers (cathy)-admin, the second is kids (jay)-limited. Login in under cathy and only her desktop picture is there. No taskbar, no start menu, no icons. The Windows keyboard button does not do anything, but Ctrl/alt/del works.

I took the Hdd out and put in my older computer as a slave drive, I ran my CA Antivirus on it and it found 9 infections. (I have a screen shot of them at home, but not with me now). It is set up as Drive G on my computer, so I opened it and went to documents and settings, and there is no cathy user, only administator, all users, jay and I think 2 application datas.

I did a search for all pictures, and found a bunch, but none showing to be in "cathy's" folder.

I did a spyware scan also just to see, and the CA antivirus popped up with 7 more infections. These I did notice were located in some tmp folders which happens to have cathy's name in the link. so maybe her stuff is still there, hidden?

Anyway I would like to run Malwarebytes and make sure all infections are gone before going any farther. Can I run it while the hdd is a slave on my computer? Any other advice would be great too!

Thanks, Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

If you select Fullscan instead of quick, it will scan all drives connected
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users