Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing at different points of startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zeeoddball

zeeoddball

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

Using XP SP2

My desktop is freezing at various points when it's starting up. Either only the background and mouse will come up then it freezes, or everything will come and seem to be working normally, then freeze about 20 to 25 seconds later. If the latter happens, then I have noticed that the mouse will start dragging for a few seconds right before it freezes. The keyboard does not work at any point once it freezes(so I can't get to task manager) but the mouse always seems to be perfectly normal. As in I can move it around as if everything is ok. Just can't click on anything.
Only other change I've noticed is my taskbar seems to be switching between the blue XP one and the old style grey one.

The last thing I installed was the Sims 3, and the problems started the day after when the EA Manager(installs patches for the game I think) started up. It froze my computer when it started, and once my computer came back up from having to be crashed, it tried to start up again, and froze it again. I deleted it and didn't have any problems until the next day when it started what it's doing now. I deleted the game in safe mode though and that didn't seem to change anything.

I was finally able to get it into a normal working mode the other day and left my computer running over the weekend(during this it acted like nothing at all was wrong).But I shut it down last night and it's acting up again. It seems like something is trying to start up and the computer just can't handle it or that something is missing. I really don't know how to find out what that would be though. I had already gone in and turned off anything that I didn't need to come up when the computer started hoping that would help. That seems to have done nothing.

Any suggestions or help are greatly appreciated. I'm so sick of dealing with this. Please keep in mind I can't do anything at all while in normal mode. Only safe mode. And everything I value is already saved on an external hard drive so losing anything is not a problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users